Can I put them in the coop?

Vian

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
The brooder I've got my chicks in is already looking cramped, and they're only 2 weeks old. I knew I'd have to give them more space before they're ready to go outside, but I'm not quite sure where to put them. I have a coop outside. It's pretty basic, and small, but big enough for the 4 of them. It's also been unseasonably warm here lately, and it doesn't look like that's going to change if the forecast is to be believed. It's about 40-45 at night and 60-70 during the day. I don't have the run finished, but I do have to coop all ready. It's even got heat tape in the floor. Could I close the door and put a heat lamp in the coop and keep them there? or should I find a different, more indoor option? The coop also would be pretty dark, unless I put a light in it, which I could do (and of course the heat lamp puts out light, it's just red)

If that's not a good idea, I could set something up in the garage without much issue.

Don't know where you are how old they are or what GOD or mom nature is going to do but if you are asking us then my guess is- If it turns cold or rains they pile up or if to crowded they pile up then die problem solved . WHAT do you think? sorry thats what I think FROM EXPERIENCE . BEEN THEIR DONE THAT.

I'm in the same boat. My 6 girls were brought home 4 nights ago at 6 days old. Tonight I let them "forage" in the yard under extreme cover ,with Rubbermaid bin lids as barricades, with my two kids as security. They birds and kids were in heaven. It just seems so unnatural to keep them inside in the blue bin with a giant light bulb on them. They pecked and pranced and stretched their wings and really showed their personalities. We were able to deduce a bit of the pecking order as well. I'm in central Fl. Our highs are in the 80's and our lows maybe 60. The farm lady I bought them from was adamant they stay INSIDE for 8 weeks! They've already grown tons in 4 days, I can't keep them inside for that long. They'll be huge! They'll need their own room. They're perching and pecking and acting like big girls....can we move them outside sooner into a super safe enclosure?

From the looks of your specific temperatures I would say you are safe to move them out. Keep an eye on temperatures, make sure they are warm enough and well protected from draft and dampness. Im in Canada and you would be surprised what chicks and birds can handle. Keep the lamp low so if they are cold they can get closer to the heat if its warm make sure they have room to get away from it. That's my opinion, hope it helps!

Thanks. I went out and used some Great Stuff to seal up any gaps in the coop so it won't be as drafty. I've got a 250 watt heat lamp I was going to put out there for them, so I think that should be enough. Once I get the run built in the next couple of weeks, I will start letting them out in the day time when it's warm.

Thanks. I went out and used some Great Stuff to seal up any gaps in the coop so it won't be as drafty. I've got a 250 watt heat lamp I was going to put out there for them, so I think that should be enough. Once I get the run built in the next couple of weeks, I will start letting them out in the day time when it's warm.

I would keep a thermometer handy, you may need that 250 at night but definitely not during. no worries thought, just check regularly and adjust according to your needs.

Maybe I'll get a 100 watt incandescent bulb, run the heat lamp at night and the incandescent during the day. That way the incandescent simulates daylight somewhat.

I'll probably move them out there tomorrow evening when I get home from work. That way I can check on them periodically since it will be the weekend.

Last edited:
OP - the big thing you'll have to worry about is night time temps obviously. If you can safely run that heat lamp to a place they can gather under it, and keep the temp in that one spot in the 80's, I'd think you'll be all right.

As for using great stuff to seal all the drafts, well, ok if its drafts you're sealing, yes. Don't seal all the ventilation though, keeping proper air flow through the coop is very important!

wow, edited by staff yet the rude person's post untouched. Even the OP post complaining about her post was deleted. Doesn't look good for the community if this is how it works here.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. My 6 girls were brought home 4 nights ago at 6 days old. Tonight I let them "forage" in the yard under extreme cover ,with Rubbermaid bin lids as barricades, with my two kids as security. They birds and kids were in heaven. It just seems so unnatural to keep them inside in the blue bin with a giant light bulb on them. They pecked and pranced and stretched their wings and really showed their personalities. We were able to deduce a bit of the pecking order as well. I'm in central Fl. Our highs are in the 80's and our lows maybe 60. The farm lady I bought them from was adamant they stay INSIDE for 8 weeks! They've already grown tons in 4 days, I can't keep them inside for that long. They'll be huge! They'll need their own room. They're perching and pecking and acting like big girls....can we move them outside sooner into a super safe enclosure?

LOL at keeping them inside for 8 weeks. At the temps you're describing there shouldn't be any need for that, provided you can get them a heat source to go to if they feel they need it. They'll pretty much tell you if they're comfy or not. Also, each chick will be a bit different. Out of my first 8 chicks that are almost 4 weeks old, two of them were ALWAYS outside the circle of light while the rest of them piled up directly under it.

They'll react as they need, just give them the option to get warm if they need it

OP - the big thing you'll have to worry about is night time temps obviously. If you can safely run that heat lamp to a place they can gather under it, and keep the temp in that one spot in the 80's, I'd think you'll be all right.

As for using great stuff to seal all the drafts, well, ok if its drafts you're sealing, yes. Don't seal all the ventilation though, keeping proper air flow through the coop is very important!

I'm glad the OP asked, as I am in the same boat, too. Boy, those chicks grow fast! I'd been planning on putting them in the coop with a heat lamp next Thursday, but this thread is appreciated because it confirms my plans. So, thanks for the helpful replies!

Oh, and I got one of those thermometers that you can put outside (in the coop) and read inside, so I will know what the temp is in the coop at night. And I'm going to put the brooder in the coop, on its side so the chicks can go in and out of it. I want to give them something familiar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom