Can I put them in the coop?

Thanks. I went out and used some Great Stuff to seal up any gaps in the coop so it won't be as drafty. I've got a 250 watt heat lamp I was going to put out there for them, so I think that should be enough. Once I get the run built in the next couple of weeks, I will start letting them out in the day time when it's warm.
As long as the gaps aren't large enough to allow predators in (e.g., mice, weasels), you're better off leaving the gaps as they provide much-needed ventilation.

REMEMBER - heat lamps in coops are an extreme fire hazard! There have been many posts about coops and their occupants burning due to fallen lamps, heat bulbs that have exploded due to dust and feather exposure, faulty wiring, etc.

If you're going to use a heat lamp in a coop, secure it at least 2 to 3 different ways. DO NOT depend solely on the clamp.

REMEMBER - heat lamps in coops are an extreme fire hazard!   There have been many posts about coops and their occupants burning due to fallen lamps, heat bulbs that have exploded due to dust and feather exposure, faulty wiring, etc. 

If you're going to use a heat lamp in a coop, secure it at least 2 to 3 different ways.  DO NOT depend solely on the clamp.  

Wow! I appreciate this tip, too.

For those of you who are not brooding a large batch of chicks, look up Blooie's thread about using a Sunbeam heating pad for a brooder. Big electricity savings, IMO safer than a heat lamp, and works in freezing temps.

This is what I do, if it helps anyone. After the first weeks, the poop and dust are just too much inside. I had an old pre-fab rabbit hutch and run that I keep under the shed by the barn. I call it the halfway house, now. I usually move them to it after 3 or 4 days. For the first couple of weeks I use the hutch only, with a heat lamp on one corner, a plate warmer near the center, and the food and water on the darker side. If temps get below 50 or so, I hang plywood on the sides to help hold temperatures. After about three weeks, I drop the ramp to the run. This gives them room to grow, and they know where the heat is if they need it. By 6 weeks, they are in the coop with no heat. I bought the hutch and run for $150, but something similar could be built cheaply

Why not try the "chick cave" with "Mama heating pad"? It eliminates the hazard of a heat lamp and over-cooking the chicks and simulates a broody hen. Just drape a heating pad over a wire field fence frame bent into a cave shape, and put a heating pad over it with a towel over that to keep it clean. Turn it on high to begin with and stick a thermometer inside to see what temp you get, then turn it down if you have to so it registers around 80 inside. In a week, you'll probably be able to turn it down to low.

Is your coop totally dark inside? That may be a problem during the day, and a low wattage bulb might be a good idea to give them some light.

They can go outside right now to play for short periods if it stays as nice as it is now. Just watch for signs of chilling and pop them back inside.

The cave with the heating pad is a great idea. I think I'll try that tomorrow. I think the heat lamp is a bit overkill at this point. The chicks have never huddled directly underneath it anyway. I put the lamp at one end of the coop, and the other end is about 3.5 feet away, so they have plenty of space to adjust their temperature.

The coop still has plenty of ventilation, but the way it was constructed, there were gaps in the corners and between some of the slats of wood that form the walls, so I sealed them up, but left some spots near the top for ventilation.

Also, I'll add a regular lightbulb in the morning so the chicks get some "daylight"

Thanks for the awesome info everyone!
I'm ready for a "halfway house" of sorts soon. We're letting them peck in the yard during the day while we all stand guard of the perimeter and over head....chicken hawks.
Probably brave enough to move them into the garage at least.

It's amazing. I swear the chicks have more feathers on them today than they did even yesterday. They seem to be doing fine in the coop. I also gave them some fermented feed and they seem to like it. Now I have to figure out a way to feed it to them that is less messy. I'm still going to try the heating pad cave idea, since I think the heat lamp is way overkill for them in the coop at this point.

Back
Top Bottom