Can I return chicks to incubator after an hour out?

Hen Pecked Wolves

In the Brooder
May 27, 2023
All of my eggs hatched and I removed my chicks after about 5 hours. They ate and drank but I am worried that they needed to be in the incubator longer. I put them with other chicks that hatched 6 days ago. They just seemed to want to sleep so I put them back in the incubator. Do they need food and water? Or is it ok to leave them out?

They just seemed to want to sleep so I put them back in the incubator. Do they need food and water? Or is it ok to leave them out?
When the chicks hatch they absorb the yolk. They can live off of that yolk for 72 hours or more. They don't need to eat or drink for 72 hours, that's why they can be mailed. It will not hurt them to eat or drink if they want to, I'd consider it good if they did. But they may not be all that hungry or thirsty to start with.

Hatching is hard work, those chicks are probably pretty tired.

When my chicks hatch under a broody hen they tend to spend a lot of time under them the first couple of days staying warm and resting. They will eat some then but usually not much. But after a couple of days they get really active, hungry, and thirsty.

When the chicks hatch they absorb the yolk. They can live off of that yolk for 72 hours or more. They don't need to eat or drink for 72 hours, that's why they can be mailed. It will not hurt them to eat or drink if they want to, I'd consider it good if they did. But they may not be all that hungry or thirsty to start with.

Hatching is hard work, those chicks are probably pretty tired.

When my chicks hatch under a broody hen they tend to spend a lot of time under them the first couple of days staying warm and resting. They will eat some then but usually not much. But after a couple of days they get really active, hungry, and thirsty.
Thank you for your help! They did eat and drink 🥰 I was just worried because they seemed so tired and they had only been hatched long enough to dry out. I’m new to this so I was definitely second guessing my choices! I set them up in a separate brooder for now🤗

IMG_3060.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom