Can I syringe feed amprolium to baby chicks?

ChknMom

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 11, 2012
I have 6 few day old baby chicks, I tested their stool at my vet and they have coccidia. The test came back with a very strong positive but so far have only seen slight diahrrea in my babies. I wanted to start them on amprolium right away, but can I syringe an amount to each one each day or can I only do it by giving it to them in their normal drinking water? The reason I want to is because I feel as if they don't drink that much water since I put water in some of their mash. They love it when I do that, I am afraid if I stop doing that they won't eat as well. Any suggestions?

My veterinarian didn't recommend it because it is not at a high enough dose in the feed to clear te infection.

Corid in the water is fine. You can't regulate a dose by syringing it directly. Are you using 9.6% liquid at 2 teaspoons in a gallon waterer daily for 5 days? That is the way you normally dose it.

Medicated feed has no benefit if they already have cocci. It has very limited benefit to prevent it as well, if your soil is full of the oocysts that cause it. I have always fed medicated and before I got smarter and started putting soil in the brooder the first week, every group got cocci just after touching the soil, no matter if they were eating medicated feed.

Last edited:
Thank you! I got back in touch with my veterinarian and he reccomeded the same thing as oh except with the 20% power. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom