Can I use 1 inch hardware cloth for coop/run?

Sooner Magnolia

Crowing
8 Years
Jun 13, 2014
Central Oklahoma
Hi, I'm building a new coop and run for my baby chickens. The old girls live in a dump LOL. I'm getting ready to purchase the hardware cloth, and my local hardware store quoted me $43 for a 50 foot roll of 4ft high 1 inch hardware cloth. 19 gauge. Way cheaper than Amazon, but I was looking at 1/2 inch there.

Lots of rat snakes in my area. I'm not concerned with little skinny garter snakes, etc

So, can I use it? Save money and buy local?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I'm building a new coop and run for my baby chickens. The old girls live in a dump LOL. I'm getting ready to purchase the hardware cloth, and my local hardware store quoted me $43 for a 50 foot roll of 4ft high 1 inch hardware cloth. 19 gauge. Way cheaper than Amazon, but I was looking at 1/2 inch there.

Lots of rat snakes in my area. I'm not concerned with little skinny garter snakes, etc

So, can I use it? Save money and buy local?

Thanks in advance!
I used 1/2. I think small rodents and snakes would get through 1".

@aart, Yeah. Didn't toy with they idea for long. A snake can get through 1 inch if their heads can, and they are my current nemesis.

I got a small lumber yard in the next town to order me 100 feet of the 4 foot tall 1/2 inch. $180 and I'm buying local. I may get the 1 inch for the apron that is buried or covered in mulch. Thanks all!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom