Can I use expired Sulmet?

andreacroyle

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Florida
I have a full bottle of sulmet that expired January 2016 I have used expired cough medicine and other human vitamins but never a pet medication. How many people have used expired sulmet and it worked? I tried to get another one from the feed store but they don't carry it anymore and I'm not sure that it's still around I saw a post that said it's been discontinued which would be a shame. Just the backstory on why I want it. I took my chicken to the vet because she was sick and she ended up having coccidiosis avian vet treated the chicken and she is doing well which is surprising she went from looking like she was going to die for not having any symptoms in a matter of 24 hours. But I have a mixed flock with the geese ducks and chickens. The vet told me to get a medicated chicken starter but I don't believe I can use that with ducks and I read that it doesn't get rid of an outbreak of coccidiosis so I don't know what else I can use and she wasnt much help. she told me to use wazine but it doesn't show that wazine kills coccidiosis. She wanted me to bring all 32 birds in. I'm taking 4. I can't afford anymore.

I would use an expired medicine within a year of the date. Sulmet has been off the market for a while, and most oral antibiotics for animals will only be available by prescription only by January 1, 2017. Corid (amprollium) is really good for all strains of cocci, and it is not an antibiotic. Most feed store carry it. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5 days. Amprollium is the same medication in medicated feeds for prevention of cocci, but it isn't in a high enough concentration to treat an outbreak, only used to help achieve resistance to cocci. You might post on the duck thread about using it in ducks, but I wouldn't think that it would hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom