Can I use the feed I am using now with my hens with new ones I am getting from a friend

MerkySky

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
Hi,
I am getting two Barred Rock hens 1 year old. They are on a another brand of feed then I use for my hens. If the ingredients are close can I give the new hens what I am feeding mine or do I need to get the brand she is using and stick with that. She is using Layena for laying hens pellets, I am using Dumore poultry crumbled for egg layers.
Thanks CJ

I guess I am just not a purist My girls have been switched several times with no ill effects. From crumbles to pellets and a few different brands.

I have a scale of things I worry about.

A piece of space junk may fall out of the sky and hit my house.
I might have a fender bender next time I’m in a car.
The sun might shine today where I am.

I think yours is a legitimate question. I’m not trying to make fun of you or anything like that. But your worry would rank somewhere around the space junk one on my scale.

It is a change and they might not be real happy at first. I’ve switched like that too, crumbles to pellets and back. Different brands. I find that if they get a little hungry, they’ll eat it. After a time or two, they don’t have to be hungry to eat it. They get used to the change.

Purina makes Dumor. The big feed companies make each other’s feeds under license. It’s an efficient way to do business. Overseas some big name feed companies are owned by the same corporation but they are owned separately here in the USA. They use different formulas and different mixes of raw ingredients so there are some differences, but I really don’t worry about switching brands.

A chicken may catch two grasshoppers today but did not get even one yesterday. That change in diet doesn’t seem to affect them.

Back
Top Bottom