Can long can a newly hatched duck stay in the incubator after hatching?

RoseUrsem

In the Brooder
May 23, 2015
I know that chickens can (supposedly) stay in the incubator for 3 days because they absorb all their nutrients from the yolk. Is this the same with ducklings? Also, can ducklings and chickens live together? They are both really little....

Thank you!

Chicks and ducklings can be raised together. They can stay in the incubator for a while, but I wouldn't push the limits of how long they can go without eating. I like to take my ducklings out pretty quickly because they really imprint in the first couple of days and if I leave them in the incubator for too long, that window closes and they can't be well socialized.

Thanks. He is out the incubator. He is scaring the chicks a bit..... He is nipping their feathers and wings which is giving them a bit of a shock because it has been just them chicks for a week.
barnie.gif

He is VERY friendly! He follows me around the room and when I am typing on the computer he wants to be right there!
Thank you so much

Thanks. He is out the incubator. He is scaring the chicks a bit..... He is nipping their feathers and wings which is giving them a bit of a shock because it has been just them chicks for a week.
barnie.gif

He is VERY friendly! He follows me around the room and when I am typing on the computer he wants to be right there!
Thank you so much

Ducklings are a handful, especially lone ducklings! It is easier if they hatch together. I have rigged brooders so that certain birds can see each other but not touch ( : That wasn't necessary for these guys ...

So should I keep them together? None of the other ducklings are hatching yet. Will the chicks be ok with him pecking her?
Thanks!

I only have one heat lamp and it is quite small so it is really hard to set it up like that!

Back
Top Bottom