Can my Broody Hen raise day old chicks?

mammab

Hatching
9 Years
May 24, 2010
I have a lovely Buff Orpington hen 1 year old, who has gone broody. We have tried lots of things to snap her out of it to no avail. She's been in a cage, separated from the nesting box, dunked in cool water...the works. Still broody and grump. My kids want to add a couple of day old chicks from the local feed store to our flock but I'm not up for the whole "keep the baby chicks in the house" routine. I'm wondering if I could present the buff orpington with some babies to raise outside in the yard. Would that work? At least she would be providing a service to the family...other than being a lovely ornament.

If I can't break her of her intense broody nature I'll need to give her to someone who wants a brood hen. (Anyone in N. CA interested?)

Yes you can give her babies. That is how we do it with Sugar. Basically she goes broody every spring or we make her go broody by giving her fake eggs. Last year I couldn't handle chicks in my schedule and the poor thing sat from May till October. This year I ordered chicks and they will be here next Wednesday. Great time as she started sitting 3 weeks ago. So anyway she has never hatched her own. We have always gotten chicks either by mail or feed store. We keep them in the house that day and let them have food, water, grit, let them get used to moving around and that night just after dusk we run out to the coop lift Sugar up and throw the babies under her and she is very happy. She starts clucking right away. She is a fierce mama and has always protected the brood we give her.
Good luck.
Michelle

I gave my broody BO some day old EE's and she's been a great momma. Give them to her in the evening when she's sleepy and quiet. They should snuggle under her and she'll probably cluck and coo at them.

Don't be surprised if she doesn't want to let them out of the nest for a day or two--That's how they act when they hatch out eggs so I make sure the chicks have a bit of food and water before I put them under the broody. I've had great luck with this, but it doesn't always work so you should be prepared to brood the chicks yourself just in case. Best of luck!
jumpy.gif
fl.gif
jumpy.gif

Yes, you can give her day old chicks, but there is a catch, it "must be done at night". I've tried giving a broody hen chicks during the day and they will just toss them out of the nest. But, if you bring the chicks into the coop after dark, around 9:30 or 10:00 PM when they are all asleep. Very quietly slip the chicks under her one at a time and don't use a bright flashlight or make a lot of noise. Place the chicks slowly and then quietly leave. Then, set your alarm for 6:00 AM and go out right away in the morning. Every time I have done this they are bonded by morning and the broody hen believes they are hers. Don't try during the day or the chicks could get hurt. I've done this a few times now and it works like a charm. No more raising chicks in the house and dealing with all of the dust and smell. : ) Good luck and keep up updated.

Back
Top Bottom