can rabbits inbreed???

Good luck on getting your rabbits to turn a profit! I raise rabbits for meat, and I have yet to even break even. I sell my rabbits for $12 each, which most people will balk at, they think you should give them the rabbit! I have rex, New Zealand White, and English Spot. I still have to dip into my paycheck to buy their food, bottles, feeders, and any medication that they may need. I loose on average around $200 per year on 15 rabbits. With that being said, I do not breed my rabbits severely. I only breed every 3 months, whereas some breeders breed every 4-5 weeks. I prefer my kits staying with their moms until they are 7-8 weeks old. We sell them or butcher them by 12 weeks old.

I am a third generation meat rabbit breeder. Even though I have a much smaller operation than my father and grandfather had, none of us ever turned a profit from the rabbits.

In my opinion, there are only two ways to make a profit off of rabbits. Breed show winners or don't care for them properly. I would be happy to just break even once in a while!

Ok, sorry about the mini-rant. I just don't want to see someone get swamped with rabbits or to see someone breed "Easter" throwaways.

Emily in NC

Back
Top Bottom