Can someone explain…

Years and years of personal experience. Statistics from hatcheries agree. Even humans have more male offspring male than female. It’s only slightly skewed, if that makes you feel better.
I’m not particularly interested in it myself.
If you are interested in looking into it to try for more females, a good jumping off point is that the hen(female) dictates the sex of the offspring in chickens.
Supposedly a fat hen has more females. I think that’s a myth, long eggs are supposed to be males, I haven’t personally tested this, but I don’t incubate misshapen eggs. But I think it’s not true.

Years and years of personal experience. Statistics from hatcheries agree. Even humans have more male offspring male than female. It’s only slightly skewed, if that makes you feel better.
I’m not particularly interested in it myself.
If you are interested in looking into it to try for more females, a good jumping off point is that the hen(female) dictates the sex of the offspring in chickens.
I know hens decide on the sex. I would beg the opposite to be true though, based on my years of experience. I've only had one clutch where males outnumbered the females. All the others have been female heavy once sexable

What proof exactly of this do you have?
Genetically there is an exact 50/50 chance of sex. It's the environmental conditions that hatch more males than females. The less successful a hatch rate the more percentage of chicks hatched are male. Genetically the males have more vigor to endure the less than optimal incubating conditions.

I don't have knowledge of any scientific study but simply ask anyone who's hatched a ton of chicks over the years. It's common knowledge.

I know hens decide on the sex. I would beg the opposite to be true though, based on my years of experience. I've only had one clutch where males outnumbered the females. All the others have been female heavy once sexable
That’s good, I’ve hatched thousands of chicks. Last spring we had way more females than males, but we have also had seasons where we would have 75% male in a group. It’s luck and sometimes you have bad luck.

I don't have Candy Corn. From what I hear it's about the color- lighter are males and darker are females. Now I've seen older Candy Corn chicks and yes it was obvious but have no experience as to if that holds true when first hatched. It's not autosexed unless you can visually determine sex as soon as they fluff up.

I know hens decide on the sex.
This is simply not true. Insect queens determine sex by not fertilizing an egg it's male. Chickens all come from fertilized eggs therefore there is exactly 50/50 probability. Your remarkable female hatch rate in an anomaly you should be grateful for. By the law of probability some poor sod with a perfect hatch rate got 75% male.

That’s good, I’ve hatched thousands of chicks. Last spring we had way more females than males, but we have also had seasons where we would have 75% male in a group. It’s luck and sometimes you have bad luck.
This year we will have; silkies, showgirls, frizzles, Bielefelders, auto sexing olive eggers, welsummers and polish

We have bred; Barred Plymouth Rock, RIR, buff Orpingtons, Dominiques, sexlinks(multiple kinds), FBC Marans, olive eggers, Easter eggers, Ancona, leghorns(multiple types), California grays, California whites, blue Andalusians and spangled Russian Orloffs.
We probably hatched 400-600 last spring, we sell them. I will have a few silkies and Bielefelders hatching next week. We aren’t going to be hatching as many anymore, but I still love chickens so I’m going to keep hatching some each spring anyway.

This is simply not true. Insect queens determine sex by not fertilizing an egg it's male. Chickens all come from fertilized eggs therefore there is exactly 50/50 probability. Your remarkable female hatch rate in an anomaly you should be grateful for. By the law of probability some poor sod with a perfect hatch rate got 75% male.
Okay fine, through the randomness of chromosomes happening to make it to the specific egg, the hen makes male and female eggs, happy? I didn't literally mean the hen is like "Hmm, I feel like only having baby girls this week!"
simply ask anyone who's hatched a ton of chicks over the years. It's common knowledge.
Apparently it's not common knowledge as again, I've hatched a ton of chicks and rarely have male heavy clutches, even when conditions are less than optimal. But whatever. I just wanted to learn why they said males are more common to hatch and still haven't really gotten anything but people saying so based on what they've experienced, just like I have with females

This is simply not true.
It indeed is true. I suggest you familiarize yourself with simple sex chromosomes and how they are passed on from parents before you climb onto your soap box.

To recap it for you, bird sex chromosomes are different than ours, instead of X and Y they have Z and W. Males carry two Z chromosomes while Females carry one Z and one W.

Because males only have Z sex chromosomes, no matter what their father will give them a Z chromosomes.

This leaves what the females passes on to determine the sex. If she passes on her W chromosome the offspring will be female, if she passes a Z chromosome it will be male.

The environment does not change the predetermined sex chromosomes. Chickens are not turtles.

They could be, I’d need to see them. I’ve never heard of a auto sexing polish, but if a cuckoo/barred polish and a red/wild type polish exist than its possible.
You could probably make auto sexing polish using the gold laced and silver laced polish.
Better if you have a barred polish though.
There is cuckoo/barred polish. I say I had a double barred boy and laced female. That’s what I was curious if they’d be able to be sexed young or autosexed. I was wondering if the offspring would come out lighter-if make and darker-with females. Even waiting until they got their “teenage” feathers

Back
Top Bottom