Can someone help me identify what I'm dealing with (pic included)

Pics
I will say that the image in 693 reminded me of what I went through in treating scaly leg mites. Mite debris and dead scales, but the rest of the photos look like an infection of some sort.
E09DCEAF-192B-4E0B-BC5C-C5E64743CFCB.jpeg

The grey chunky buildup was slowly removed with many long soaks and gentle brushing, moisturizing and heavily coating in Vaseline. This is what the chunks looked like when they came off:
2F81883A-21C3-426E-8FBF-12D0922672C7.jpeg

The yellow section was on the toe, and I sprayed with blu kote when there was any bleeding, so that’s why they look a bit purple.

I will say that the image in 693 reminded me of what I went through in treating scaly leg mites. Mite debris and dead scales, but the rest of the photos look like an infection of some sort.
View attachment 1682740

The grey chunky buildup was slowly removed with many long soaks and gentle brushing, moisturizing and heavily coating in Vaseline. This is what the chunks looked like when they came off:
View attachment 1682741

The yellow section was on the toe, and I sprayed with blu kote when there was any bleeding, so that’s why they look a bit purple.
Oh My! I agree! That does look very similar to what he had...He just had that one spot though....but now it is suspect because he did have scaly mites bad when we first got him. Hmmmm…although his feet never looked that bad....But when his (deposit??) fell off, it was hard, I had no idea what it was....I wonder if somehow some scale mites hung around that one spot on his foot....but he hasn't had any other spots like that...I wonder if that is how this whole thing started but I agree, it is now a bad infection and I can't seem to get it under control....I have found a "fowl" vet in a town about 30 miles from here. I am going to call Monday morning and see if they would be willing to look at it and give me any other better advice or treatment.... Thanks for your info...

Last edited:
Update - Last week, after two rounds of different antibiotics with no real change, and months of caring for his leg, I found a vet who would see my poor rooster in a town about 30 miles from here. He looked at his leg, reviewed my pictures and listened to all that I had done over the past 4+ months. He said I had done everything he would have told me ...and then some. He believed the strange spot that started this whole mess may have been a carcinoma (cancer) since the antibiotics and care never seemed to help and it actually continued to slowly get worse. His leg was painful, and we could not see any real improvement for him in the future, so I decided to let him go. The vet euthanized my boy for me. My Thunder was good patient and a good rooster and I am glad we rescued him (against our original desire) but he had a good home and a good life for the last three or so years. I am sure he is now running on both legs now chasing hens and crowing like a champ …. you were a good rooster Thunder! You will be missed.

Attachments

• IMG_0732.JPG
    IMG_0732.JPG
    1,013.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
So sorry for your loss :hugsI’m sure you’ve done the right thing in stopping his suffering... poor sweetie. Sometimes the right thing to do is also the hardest. It’s good that you were able to find a vet that would help you. :hugs

So sorry for your loss. You did everything you could to help him, and so glad that he isn’t suffering.
I wanted to post and keep you informed since everyone here was so helpful. You and @azygous @Al Capon @Kris5902 and others were all so supportive and educational. I learned a lot thru this experience. Thanks to everyone.

I am sorry the brave roo had to surrender. I'm sorry you lost the fight you bravely fought for your rooster.

I never would have guessed it was a carcinoma. Thank you for updating and providing closure for your thread.

You're welcome. The vet wasn't positive it was a carcinoma but he said it would explain why there was no improvement - (and it was actually slowly getting worse) - over time. He was very suspicious of the growth that seemed to start the whole thing. He agreed with your assessment that it looked/acted like bumble foot which can be stubborn, but he didn't hold out a lot of hope to make much improvement. I just didn't want the poor guy to continue to suffer through it if the end was inevitable anyway. It was obvious his foot pained him so I did what I felt was best for him in the end. He was a good roo….sweet to me and his girls...

I wanted to post and keep you informed since everyone here was so helpful. You and @azygous @Al Capon @Kris5902 and others were all so supportive and educational. I learned a lot thru this experience. Thanks to everyone.
Yes, very educational. I'd say you not only did right by Thunder, you helped educate the rest of us.

I'm sorry for your loss... You are a dedicated chicken parent. He was a very lucky boy.

Back
Top Bottom