Can someone help me pick a breed

Thanks everyone I have looked at the breeds everyone has said about I am leaning forward the welsh harlequins but once I have decided I will let everyone know.

This is my imprinted Welsh Drake....His name is D.W.......He is 10 months almost and still comes running if I Quack for him...lol....You will love Welsh Ducks....Or any you pick!!

Cheers!

Thank you I want something that lays well, isn't as common as most breeds like Pekin and mallard. And I can process them for meat if I have to but I also have a sales barn about 5 minutes from me that I take extra Roos to and then you go back and pick up the money from the birds. I have two 4x8 coops that will be split in have with a wall for my chicken breeding pens and the two ducks I have will stay in one of those coops with a smaller breed of chickens they will more than likely stay in with the silkies they have been doing well with them. And then I will build a coops for what ever breed of ducks I choose a coop and have it near the duck pond I havnt figured out what I'm going to do for there pen yet though but I can figure something out.
Good responses all around! There's quite a few dual purpose breeds available.. I keep Saxonies personally, and even though it's mid-winter, I'm still getting 1-2 eggs daily with decent grow out on the males that I use for meat. WH's are nice for this as well, and are quite nice looking!

This is my imprinted Welsh Drake....His name is D.W.......He is 10 months almost and still comes running if I Quack for him...lol....You will love Welsh Ducks....Or any you pick!!

Cheers!

Who's that cunning mind behind that shadowy disguise?

Maybe Magpie. They are rare, good layers, and my girl magpie is the sweetest duck I have. She is kind of shy, she likes to sit by herself quietly. I'll be hatching them soon. Here's some pictures.

Alright here is a list in order of what I am mostly leaning to get

1. Muscovys a lot of people seem to like them and they are good duel purpose birds even though they arnt even somewhat rare this is the breed I am mostly wanting. The only down side is these have really sharp claws.

2. Saxony they have really pretty coloring and they are on the threatened list so it would be nice to help them out.

3. Welsh harlequin though I like these last two about the same and they both offer about the same needs I am looking for.

4. Magpies they also have pretty coloring and a few of you here of the thread seems to like them. Though dotknott said they are smaller so would that mean they arnt going to be good for meat if I had to cull any extra drakes?

5. And last the Dutch hookbill I would be interested in these also but being they are on the critical section of the list on that website dotknott gave i doubt I would be able to find any and being they are going to be more rare that means they are going to be more expensive to buy.

Last edited:
Alright here is a list in order of what I am mostly leaning to get

1. Muscovys a lot of people seem to like them and they are good duel purpose birds even though they arnt even somewhat rare this is the breed I am mostly wanting. The only down side is these have really sharp claws.

2. Saxony they have really pretty coloring and they are on the threatened list so it would be nice to help them out.

3. Welsh harlequin though I like these last two about the same and they both offer about the same needs I am looking for.

4. Magpies they also have pretty coloring and a few of you here of the thread seems to like them. Though dotknott said they are smaller so would that mean they arnt going to be good for meat if I had to cull any extra drakes?

5. And last the Dutch hookbill I would be interested in these also but being they are on the critical section of the list on that website dotknott gave i doubt I would be able to find any and being they are going to be more rare that means they are going to be more expensive to buy.
I love my Magpies! Out of my flock, which contains campbells, anconas, runners, and Magpies, I think they are my favorite. Though my runner girl is very nice, I think I like my magpies a bit more. As for you wondering about meat, I have never eaten my ducks, but Holderread, who wrote a book on raising ducks, which has not failed me yet, says, quote, " In 1987, we sent 500 ducklings in six breeds to Guatemala. These birds were distributed to Ketchi Indian villagers to see which breeds would perform the best under their subsistence farming conditions. Although all of the breeds tested well, the Magpies were the Ketchis' favorite due to their all-around performance and eye-catching markings. Magpies are a true triple-duty duck. Along with being highly decorative, they are wonderful layers of large eggs and produce gourmet meat. Everyone who raises them can have the satisfaction of knowing they are helping perpetuate one of the rarest standard breeds of duck." end quote. I recommend them, though I think Harlequins are quite nice as well, so are Runners, and anconas (My Lilac ancona is the most hilarious bird I've had yet...) Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom