Can someone help me understand hackle feathers and saddle feathers??

HAha! Great picture! Thanks!
big_smile.png

Just thought this may help also the male sex feathers(hackles, saddle, wing bows, and sickles) besides being pointed usually are more shiney than the body feathers.

And the pointy feathers usually start coming in around 12 to 16 wks. on average, some sooner some later.

catdaddy

i have an ee that is mostly black and white with some brown in the wings, it starting to grow green black feathers in its tail. does this mean its a roo or could it still be a hen?

Thanks for starting this thread, it has been very informative! I'm still on the fence about one of my 6 week olds. She/he started out with all the "classic characteristics" of a pullet of a breed that is supposed to be "easy to sex at hatch" (barred rock). She/he has rounded feathers and still has many of the female traits, but every time I post a picture I get a bunch of "nice roo" comments. I won't give up on her until "she" crows!

I know this is an old thread, but it popped up when I was searching on hackle feathers.

I'm still not sure of my polish chicken. It's polish hatch mate (same polish pen, not sure if they have 1 or 2 roosters with the girls) has been making a racket for at least 6 weeks and crowing really well for 3 or 4 of those weeks.
They are 12.5 weeks old.

Rooster boy started getting hackle and saddle feathers several weeks ago. The other one I'm just not sure about still.
He has what look a bit like hackle feathers, but when I look at them, the feather isn't pointy, just the color. But they aren't all fluffy like the rooster yet either. He might have a saddle feather. But again, not like the rooster did and right now, it is just one droopy feather.

So hackle feathers... is it really a pointy feather or does it look pointy until you look at that one feather and the ends really are rounded?

Back
Top Bottom