Can someone post a pic for me? (and a duck question)

Stormhorse23

Songster
12 Years
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Does anyone have picture of their swedish blue ducks? And another type of duck that looks like it has wavy, long feathers? Not a silkie duck... Don't know what it is. Thanks in advance. wait, maybe the wavy "duck" im thinking of is actually a goose?

Last edited:
Oh, a have a quick duck question! How soon until they can swim? I have a little 2 day old that LOVES his water and I was wondering if a small bowl of warm water would be of intertainment if I was there and ready with a rag to dry Poet off. It would only be for at most 5 minutes.

I was told not to let them swim until about 2 months (when they have all their feathers. If you are going to towel dry afterwards tough then I don't know if it would be a big deal. I just know that they get chilled really easy.

Quote:
Black Phase? Sorry for my ignorance. I'm just figuring out this duck thing. Anyway, hurry up! I wanna see it!

Quote:
its not the feathers. since these are hatchery birds and not hatched by a broody duck they dont have the oil on them to keep the water off.

at the age of 2 month they will have the oil that the mother provides

baby ducks aren't really water proof until they get all their adult feathers. So if youare going to let him swim in somethign don't do it unsupervised, exspecially if it is in a bath tub and don't let it be for more the a half an hour at a time. Drying them off afterwards is a really good idea.

I haven't seen black phased swedish, but I have black cayugas though
wink.png

Quote:
its not the feathers. since these are hatchery birds and not hatched by a broody duck they dont have the oil on them to keep the water off.

at the age of 2 month they will have the oil that the mother provides

I was reading this .... http://www.featherside.com/Poultry/BRKRaisingDucklings.html
and
it said you can let them swim at a few days old? haha. I thought of another question! My lone duckling (friend died in shipping, ordering more) was getting its feet pecked by the chicks, so I moved it in with 3 docile chicks that weren't pecking at it. Is there any way to stop the foot pecking?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom