Can someone tell what Breed this could possibly be there’s a lot of that look alike

JaimeM831

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2023
White chicken 15 weeks old calm not aggressive

Attachments

• IMG_1982.jpeg
    IMG_1982.jpeg
    375.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1981.jpeg
    IMG_1981.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1983.jpeg
    IMG_1983.jpeg
    437.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1761.jpeg
    IMG_1761.jpeg
    474.4 KB · Views: 7
White chickens are hard. When she starts to lay eggs, that will give another clue too.

I'm thinking maybe White Leghorn. That breed lays white eggs, and is quite common.

If she turns out to lay brown eggs, then maybe a White Rock. I think they are the most common brown-egg breed that is all white with a single comb and yellow feet.

If she lays blue or green eggs, then she would be an Easter Egger.

White chickens are hard. When she starts to lay eggs, that will give another clue too.

I'm thinking maybe White Leghorn. That breed lays white eggs, and is quite common.

If she turns out to lay brown eggs, then maybe a White Rock. I think they are the most common brown-egg breed that is all white with a single comb and yellow feet.

Question.. do some easter eggers not have muffs? I thought they had muffs/beards.

Question.. do some easter eggers not have muffs? I thought they had muffs/beards.
EEs come in all kinds of feathering.... they are mutts and don't have any specific pattern like beards and muffs. I've had EEs with and without them. And with all different kinds of combs and feet colors too.

EEs come in all kinds of feathering.... they are mutts and don't have any specific pattern like beards and muffs. I've had EEs with and without them. And with all different kinds of combs and feet colors too.
Oh! How can you tell it’s an Easter egger, then? A specific egg color?
Genuinely curious

Is there any way I could tell without the egg color

There are quite a few Easter Eggers with no muffs.

The breed called Ameraucana has muffs. In some countries, the breed called Araucana has muffs (but in the US, Araucanas have ear tufts instead.)

Easter Eggers are any chickens who lay blue or green eggs, but do not fit the description for any specific pure breed. Some of them look sort-of like Ameraucanas (including muffs), or sort-of like Cream Legbars, or sort-of like various other breeds, but they can have just about any appearance. Easter Eggers are quite common, and can be very nice chickens, but recognizing them can be almost impossible until they start to lay :)

If you are really impatient, there is now a DNA test to tell whether a chicken has the blue egg gene. https://iqbirdtesting.com/blueegg
It will not tell whether she has the genes for a white egg vs. a brown egg, just whether or not she has the blue egg gene (which makes either blue or green eggs depending on whether it gets a brown coating on the outside of a blue shell.)

I think she is most likely a White Leghorn, so I would probably not bother with having her tested for the blue egg gene-- just wait and see, and have a small chance of a surprise.

Oh! How can you tell it’s an Easter egger, then? A specific egg color?
Genuinely curious
I go by what the hatchery says when I buy them 😂

Here are two I used to have. I bought them at the same farm and they were sold as Ameraucanas. However, neither of them are actually Ameraucanas.... the left one had the right comb, wattle, and foot coloring, but it didn't have a beard/muff which I believe is a standard for the Ameraucanas. It also laid green eggs (I've heard that Ameraucanas can lay blue or green eggs and I've heard that they lay only blue, so 🤷). The one on the right has too large of a comb and wattle for an Ameraucana and it has yellow feet. It laid speckled brown eggs. Their feathering was almost identical.

20210403_130438.jpg

There are quite a few Easter Eggers with no muffs.

The breed called Ameraucana has muffs. In some countries, the breed called Araucana has muffs (but in the US, Araucanas have ear tufts instead.)

Easter Eggers are any chickens who lay blue or green eggs, but do not fit the description for any specific pure breed. Some of them look sort-of like Ameraucanas (including muffs), or sort-of like Cream Legbars, or sort-of like various other breeds, but they can have just about any appearance. Easter Eggers are quite common, and can be very nice chickens, but recognizing them can be almost impossible until they start to lay :)

If you are really impatient, there is now a DNA test to tell whether a chicken has the blue egg gene. https://iqbirdtesting.com/blueegg
It will not tell whether she has the genes for a white egg vs. a brown egg, just whether or not she has the blue egg gene (which makes either blue or green eggs depending on whether it gets a brown coating on the outside of a blue shell.)

I think she is most likely a White Leghorn, so I would probably not bother with having her tested for the blue egg gene-- just wait and see, and have a small chance of a surprise.
I taught there might be something that could make them distinguish from others It why I asked I am planning to sell it because I was told there are no pet allowed so I won’t get to see it grow or have eggs. 3 of the 4 have been sold already I would like to try keep it but I heard It need other chicken to not get sad cause right now it’s looking for it’s friend but they won’t come back and I don’t know how to sell it to someone who won’t eat it

I taught there might be something that could make them distinguish from others It why I asked I am planning to sell it because I was told there are no pet allowed so I won’t get to see it grow or have eggs.
Unfortunately, if you have to sell it before it gets old enough to lay eggs, you will not be able to tell for sure what kind it is.

3 of the 4 have been sold already I would like to try keep it but I heard It need other chicken to not get sad cause right now it’s looking for it’s friend but they won’t come back
Yes, chickens do better with other chickens for company, instead of being alone.

and I don’t know how to sell it to someone who won’t eat it
I am pretty sure it is a female, so you might be able to sell it to someone who wants eggs. She will probably start laying eggs in the next 2 months or so.

Back
Top Bottom