Can Standard Texas A&M's, Standard Jumbo Pharaohs, and Golden Manchurian interbreed

bahamabanty

Songster
8 Years
Oct 9, 2013
Bahamas
I understand that I can't interbreed bobwhites with cots, and expect offspring that can reproduce.

What about A&Ms, Jumbo pharaohs, regular browns and golden manchurians Can they be in one aviary and does the off spring still fall under the 'coturnix' umbrella that can actually reproduce?

Yes you can, and yes they can. They are all coturnix, just different colors and selectively bred for different purposes - but the same species.

Oh ok. So the offspring, coturnix mutts I guess, they can reproduce right?

Not like the bobwhite-coturnix cross? Thanks

They are the same species, so I wouldn't even call the offspring mutts - completely different from bobwhite-coturnix crosses.They are coturnix just like the parents and can reproduce as well as they can.

As DK said or another way of saying it: pharaoh, a&m, golden, silver, cinnamon, tibetan et etc are the names of color patterns not species. They are all genetically the same bird we just come up wit names to differentiate the unique colors and patterns.

Yes thanks, it clears up a lot of confusion for me. I was gifted two bob whites but really want to get into the coturnix type birds. An ebayer close to me offers a mixed set of eggs mentioned in the OP, I just wanted to make sure if they could mix. I dont mind crosses as long as they lay and reproduce.

Here are some of my muts. Included are pharaoh, golden, silver, a&m, cinnamon and Italian crosses.

Last edited:
Cute. Did you pack them in for the picture? It seems rather dense for the space. What size pen do they live? Are these growing out or already adults?
There are 42 in a 2'x 4' brooder at 3 weeks old. The picture shows the unheated portion and about 30 babies. This weekend the whole lot are going into the growout side of my aviary. They will have 8'x8' with 4 cages mounted on the back wall at 2'x4' each for separation as they mature.

One of my girls in the community breeder side of the aviary.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom