Can stress cause runny poop?

ColorCountry

Chirping
May 12, 2020
I have a 4 year old Easter Egger who always seems to have digestive issues. The
rest of the flock seems to be fine. This hen has not laid eggs for almost a year,
and maybe retired. She is also at the bottom of the pecking order. I was wondering
if this stress can cause digestive issues in some chickens?

I have a 4 year old Easter Egger who always seems to have digestive issues. The
rest of the flock seems to be fine. This hen has not laid eggs for almost a year,
and maybe retired. She is also at the bottom of the pecking order. I was wondering
if this stress can cause digestive issues in some chickens?
I can’t say I ever read any research on this worry or idea of yours. But I think you have a good point.

Stress can cause diarrhoea and other health problems with humans. In many ways chickens are not very different to humans.

An other possibility might be her preference for food if you give your chickens something else than just layer feed of all flock. Or if they free range part of the day.

A normal and healthy 4 yo hen still lays eggs from early spring - autumn (until they start to moult).

@Perris , did you ever read something about this subject?

This hen has not laid eggs for almost a year,
She is also at the bottom of the pecking order.
The
rest of the flock seems to be fine.
Given these 3 things, I would think a more likely cause (than stress) is she's not getting enough nutrition to lay. Try taking her aside and giving her (just her, away from the others) some meat or fish 2-3 days a week, and see if that makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom