Can they be partially broody??

Julieschicks

Songster
Jun 17, 2016
Pearland, TX
I can’t tell if my ameracauna is broody or not. She sits in the box for sooooooo long. BEFORE she lays her egg. But then gets out after she lays! It’s the weirdest thing. But it’s really aggravating the other two layers who all like to use the same box. All three of them were in it earlier today since the ameracauna was taking so long and they were getting antsy! :rolleyes:

I take that back. Went back out and checked under her again and she was sitting on 3 eggs now! Does that mean she is trying to be broody? We don’t have a rooster. I took her out and took the eggs. She doesn’t appear to be trying to go back in the box so far at least.

I have girls that just take their time, and a larger girl that will drag the smaller slower girl out of the nest box. I also have one "stuck in cluck" she went broody and I put her in a cage, when she came out she still clucks like a broody, but has not gone broody since.
If she is broody when you take her off the nest she will growl at you, and maybe peck you. She will want to go straight back to the nest,,,

I can’t tell if my ameracauna is broody or not. She sits in the box for sooooooo long. BEFORE she lays her egg. But then gets out after she lays! It’s the weirdest thing. But it’s really aggravating the other two layers who all like to use the same box. All three of them were in it earlier today since the ameracauna was taking so long and they were getting antsy! :rolleyes:
Put fake eggs in the other nests, helps 'spread the love' and will often defuse 'road rage' during the 'traffic jam'. :D

I have several birds who 'lounge' in the nest before and after laying.

If she is broody when you take her off the nest she will growl at you, and maybe peck you. She will want to go straight back to the nest,,,
This^^^

Nope! Maybe just constipated? Needs to drink more water?

I have girls that just take their time, and a larger girl that will drag the smaller slower girl out of the nest box. I also have one "stuck in cluck" she went broody and I put her in a cage, when she came out she still clucks like a broody, but has not gone broody since.
:thumbsup

She did growl at me, but otherwise wasn’t mean. She also just started doing the “squat” the last couple days even though she’s been laying for over a month already! :confused:

Back
Top Bottom