Can they visit outside? Just shy of 4 weeks.

The Coop-D-etat

And to you good madame, I ruffle mine Feathers 🐓
Feb 6, 2021
Bismarck, North Dakota
I have 10 almost 4 week old chicks, they are just a few days short. Today is finally not supposed to be windy and the high is supposed to get around 68. Can I let them outside for a bit? It will be there first time. They are downstairs in my basement in a big galvanized stock tank brooder. I have just your classic run-of-the-mill red heat lamp on one side where it's about 80 or so I keep raising. But the cooler end is averaging around 70. I find that they are in the middle and on the cooler side pecking and scratching. Though I have been giving them big trays of dirt to scratch in since they were 3 days old that's on the warmer side and I see them go and take a relaxer right under the light. Anyways would it be ok to let them out for a while. I have a play pen set up in the run so they can't go wondering astray. I also took a small-ish box and cut a hole in so they can run in if need be out in the pen.

Ok I figured so, I just wanted to make sure because if done this before but I was in Washington were things are a bit more temperate and was a little later on in spring. But since I moved to North Dakota it's completely different and just want to make sure it won't chill the wee ones. I'll be posting up a camping chair next to the pen so I can watch for fun, and to keep an eye that they won't be chilled

If your basement is anywhere close to 70 F they don't need heat at all in there. You can safely turn that heat lamp off and see how they react.

Even if it were in the 40's F and you could keep them out of the wind they can visit outside. Just watch them, they will tell you if they get cold.

They are LOVING it outside, sun bathing, picking, scratching, and flapping around.

Attachments

• JPEG_20210410_155917_2124302587754013564.jpg
    JPEG_20210410_155917_2124302587754013564.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
If your basement is anywhere close to 70 F they don't need heat at all in there. You can safely turn that heat lamp off and see how they react.

Even if it were in the 40's F and you could keep them out of the wind they can visit outside. Just watch them, they will tell you if they get cold.
Well, the basement ambient temp is around 50 I don't heat it, cause I like things cold. I have a thermometer on both ends of the brooder one under the light and one clear at the other cool end. The cooler end is about 70

Back
Top Bottom