Can This Be Fermented?

chiknhurder

Songster
6 Years
Jan 8, 2014
Cass County Missouri
I'm feeding a custom blend organic, non-soy layer feed that contains supplements like Fertrell's Nutri-Balancer and milled flax seed. I'm wondering if I would lose the additives when I pour the water off if I try to ferment it. Right now I'm fermenting only barley and they love it but I know they need more. What do the pros think? I have about 20 birds.

Photo showing consistency of feed.

Last edited:
You would lose a lot of nutrients.
You don't have to pour the water off, just use less water and let the feed soak it up.
I ferment something very similar. I fill buckets about 2/3 full with feed and the rest of the way with water. After it soaks the water up it's closer to the consistency of grout. After feeding some, there is a little standing water but I just stir it in or pour the water into the next FF bucket.

That's what I was afraid of. When the supplements are more than likely going to be suspended in the water. Everything I've read says to be sure the grain/feed remains submerged or you run the risk of having moldy feed. I guess I'll just offer it occasionally as a treat instead of feeding it daily.

When the weather warms, it's my primary feed. I put a little kefir with live bacteria in it to jump start it and it's ready in as little as 2 days. All of the water is absorbed. If you won't be feeding right away, just stir the top in daily and there will be no mold.

I make my own feed mix and ferment it. I just ferment the grains and seeds, and add the supplements like kelp as a top dressing right before feeding. That way I don't lose any of the powders and I can still ferment my feed. :)

I make my own feed mix and ferment it. I just ferment the grains and seeds, and add the supplements like kelp as a top dressing right before feeding. That way I don't lose any of the powders and I can still ferment my feed. :)

Good idea. I think I'm just going to sprout my barley and feed it to them for a high protein source of greens and leave their everyday feed as is.

Back
Top Bottom