Can this marriage be saved?

I had water and food in my coop when chicks were young, but now they are sharing their coop with some older ladies as well as sleeping in the other coop, no more food or water. Once they come out into pen there’s plenty of both for them. We let them out between 5-6 in the morning During cold weather and once it warms up we leave coop doors open. This just makes less clean up to me. Sleeping and egg laying is all they use coops for.

I did not read the whole thread, but I think that the initial question as it was "water inside or outside the coop" could have an easy solution.

Just install the nipples inside with a little tray beneath to catch whatever might otherwise spill) and the water tank outside - there you have a good compromise that by no means will jeopardise your marriage. ;)

My food and water is outside in the pen. No food or water in the coop. Birds are asleep at night. They neither eat or drink. I let my birds out around 7am. They have been awake since probably 5am. You are not witholding food or water by doing that. I would not put any sort of watering container in the coop. The one you describe does drip. Other containers can overflow and, at the least, feces will get into any water tray and will soon become an open sewer. Water in the coop bottom in any amount is a source for mold and bacteria. Feed, in the coop, gets spilled and mixed in with the debris on the bottom. Not only another source for mold but also mites. My feeder in the pen is rodent as well as weather proof. It is one of those Grandpa's metal ones that the birds step on a treadle to open it to eat and it is fantastic. My water container is a 5 gallon bucket with drink cups attached to the bottom as well as hooked up to the hose for self filling. In the winter time, I change to a metal fount sitting on a heated base.

So are you asking so you can get all these people to tell your husband to do it your way ? I am asking because the man lets you have chickens....let him have the watered wherever he wants to have it. Does it really matter? Seems like you should side with him unless he said. What does that group of crazy chicken ladies think ? (My husband says this, btw) otherwise if it’s not going To kill the birds let it go!

So are you asking so you can get all these people to tell your husband to do it your way ? I am asking because the man lets you have chickens....let him have the watered wherever he wants to have it. Does it really matter? Seems like you should side with him unless he said. What does that group of crazy chicken ladies think ? (My husband says this, btw) otherwise if it’s not going To kill the birds let it go!

Are you freaking serious? The man lets her have chickens? What is this 1860? Wow. What a trip. So, because her husband and his ever amazing benevolence "allows" her to have chickens, that's in quotes by the way, that means any treatment short of killing them is okay? Wow. I can't believe I'm reading this in the 21st century.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom