Can we talk Meat Birds?

FlockMom45

In the Brooder
May 21, 2023
We are looking at doing meat birds ourself this year. We did 20 last year but a friend raised them We off set feed cost and butchered on butcher day. But my question is. If it's like May/June when I get them can they safely be put outside in their coop with a heat plate if needed. I know most babies have to be indoors for a few weeks. But I also know CCs stink something TERRIBLE. And was hoping that maybe I'd be able to just if warm enough put them out?

Where are you located? What kind of weather are you talking about?

I know most babies have to be indoors for a few weeks.
Not in my world. I put dual purpose chicks out in my brooder in the coop straight from the incubator even when the outside temperature is below freezing. The chicks don't care what the temperature is somewhere else, they just need a warm spot to go to so they can warm up when they need to. My brooder is 3' x 6'. Some mornings there can be ice in the far corner but I always have one area toasty for the chicks. When they are young that's where they stay on cold mornings. And I have good breeze protection, a cool wind cannot hit them. That's important too.

Back
Top Bottom