Can what you feed effect shell colors?

steffpeck

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Erda, UT
Can what you feed your birds effect their shell colors? I have a dominique roo and hens and some BO hen and their eggs look so similar, I was thinking of selling some of the dominique eggs, but really can't tell them apart from the BO eggs, could I feed the Dom's something to tint their eggs a bit to be able to tell the difference?

I really don't want to seperate the roo and the hens from the coop, as I just barely got him back in the coop. The girls were beating him up badly and he was in the chicken hospital for a few days, and every time I tried to put him back they would clobber him. So finally after about a month, I was able to get him back in, and he is back to doing his roosterly duties.
smile.png

Thanks for your help!!

No, the tint is wholly genetic. However, if the hen lays less eggs the color can be darker, because there's been a "buildup" of color in her system. Also, as the hen ages, her eggs tend to become lighter. But I've never heard of a way to change the actual tint. I've never heard of the feed affecting shell color.

Quote:
old.gif
* It will make the yolks darker, not the shell. Shell color is purely genetic. *
old.gif

Since we have a small flock (5 hens) we know instantly who layed which egg, not just the breed but the actual hen. In fact we have an egg checklist that has the name of the hen and whether they layed that day. Call me a crazy suburbian chicken owner, but it's really neat- the epidimy of knowing where your food comes from!
D.gif

steffpeck, the best thing to do is seperate each breed (if that is possible) and just collect the eggs the domoniqes lay. Good Luck!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom