Can you eat fertile eggs?

I think my Naked Necks are adorable!

But they sure get a lot of questions with new visitors.. A lot of people think there is something wrong with them, and even a few believe I shaved them.

If you have a rooster where are there spurs!? Mine has 3 toes up front and one in back, is the one in back the spur or is this something they get later?

If you have a rooster where are there spurs!? Mine has 3 toes up front and one in back, is the one in back the spur or is this something they get later?
A spur is something they start developing at roughly 1 year. Sometime sooner.. but usually around a year.

Also, hens can grow spurs as well.
A lot of the game hens do.

The majority of chicken breeds have four toes. 3 in the front, and one smaller one you can see above.

I once had a chicken with six toes on one foot.
cool.png

0014_1.jpg
0014_2.jpg

Figure 1. The radiograph shows the tarsometatarsal bone (A) with the calcar (B) protruding from it. The calcar is surrounded by an extensive horny, keratinized layer (C). The calcar and the horny layer make up the spur. Figure 2. The photograph shows the leg (A) and the horny layer of the spur (B). Under this layer is the calcar bone, seen in Figure 1. The horny layer can be filed down, but like a toenail, it will continue to grow, and the procedure will have to be repeated as necessary.

Last edited:
Ok, I read somewhere that there is a way to remove the spurs. Does any one have input on that? It had some thing to do with a hot potato?

Ok, I read somewhere that there is a way to remove the spurs. Does any one have input on that? It had some thing to do with a hot potato?
You can do this with pliers. The inside part is pliable and this will just keep rooster from injuring hens for a short time.

He will need to be housed separately for a night so his spurs are not investigated by hungry hens

I have heard this does not hurt them if the inner part is not removed. The inner part of the spur is sensitive.

My rooster is about 14-15 weeks old. His spurs are just starting to develop. They are little nubs right now.
big_smile.png
He is still learning to crow, and doesn't know anything about, ahem, 'mating' yet. He does like to dance for the ladies somethimes, though!
yippiechickie.gif
When your rooster begins the "man-dance," you are in for a real treat!
wink.png

My roo is only 8 weeks old right now and has these little bumps on the back of its legs in the same spot so I guess they are the spurs.

Is filing them off just as efficient?
It's not really pulling off the spur, it's just pulling off the sheath on top of the spur. You don't have to use a potato--just grip the top with a pair of pliers and rotate back and forth until it detatches, then slide it off.

When it heals, it will be much shorter and duller than it used to be.

I don't think filing would work as well.

We had a rooster with sharp 4" spurs, and after taking off the spur caps they were less than 3" long and dull.

Back
Top Bottom