Can you eat fertilized eggs?

A delicacy in the Philippines, they usually use duck eggs commercially, but often use chicken eggs at home. I never could eat one, but did at least try. The middle is like chicken soup. That part I could handle.
Neither can I. I won't be able to stomach it. As for the chicken soup, hmmmm...

Crazy question but my son just bought 5 silkies from the local feed store today. Can you eat the eggs or are they just good for being cute and adorable? We have ducks but are new to the chickens.

Crazy question but my son just bought 5 silkies from the local feed store today. Can you eat the eggs or are they just good for being cute and adorable? We have ducks but are new to the chickens.
You can eat pretty much any egg from any bird. Silkie eggs should be just fine. Do you eat any of your duck eggs?

OK, since I am SO new my chickens haven't even come yet, I am worried about having a Rooster.
I caved to peer pressure and added one to my order last night. My concern was fertilized eggs. From what I am reading here, that won't be an issue. My other concern was the 'Roo' as I've seen him called here, will ride the hens & scratch them up, worry them, etc.
What are the eggs with 'blood spots' I hear about ?
Thank You in advance!

OK, since I am SO new my chickens haven't even come yet, I am worried about having a Rooster.
I caved to peer pressure and added one to my order last night. My concern was fertilized eggs. From what I am reading here, that won't be an issue. My other concern was the 'Roo' as I've seen him called here, will ride the hens & scratch them up, worry them, etc.
What are the eggs with 'blood spots' I hear about ?
Thank You in advance!
normally they only scratch them up if you have too many roos. or, if he is too aggressive which doesnt happen too often. if he is bad to them, eat him.
smile.png

blood spots happen every once in awhile, its just a bit of blood that got encased in the egg. its okay to eat, but some people pick it out with a fork.

Blood spots just happen in eggs sometimes--in fertilized or not fertilized eggs. I have never had a rooster and have had this happen.

The eggs don't necessarily need to do in the frig. As long as it is cool in your house (below 80 F) the egg will not develop and they are fine on the counter, unwashed.

http://chickscope.beckman.uiuc.edu/resources/egg_to_chick/development.html

...or out in a sneak-nest midsummer for nearly two weeks. If the hen isn't sitting, the eggs are not incubating. The first time I found a sneak-nest I automatically assumed the eggs were bad. As I tossed them at a boulder in the woods, all I saw was perfectly good eggs that didn't even smell "off" being smashed. Now when I find a sneak-nest, any eggs that I'm "sketchy" about I simply crack into a separate dish prior to tossing into the pan. Last one was 11 eggs, nine of which were perfectly fine ;)

Aloha,
We have a coop of 14 hens and a Roo. We eat our fertile eggs. We keep them out of the fridge at room temp.
My question is about harvesting from a clutch when a hen is broody. I've marked the eggs and am inclined to pull the unmarked eggs daily from the nest. Because they are staying warm under her, I'm needing to know more about if they are edible after 1 day? 2days if I miss one? How long before the embryo begins to form?
I appreciate any experience and knowledge you have to share.
Mahalo,
PH

Back
Top Bottom