Can you feed chickens cooked rice?

Yesterday I was in the back alley grazing the girls when a neighbor from two doors down came out to empty his trash.

I had met Ramone only once before about six months ago when I was asking all the neighbors if they owned a little gray cat that I had just shot with a bb. (The cat had over the previous week killed 5 hens).
(The cat was not seriously injured but never came back into my yard.)

It turned out that the cat didn’t belong to Ramone and he sympathized with me for the loss of the chickens. Nice fellow.

Anyway, when I saw him yesterday we greeted each other with a friendly wave and smiles and then he went back into his yard.
Then a few minutes later he reemerged with more trash and so, on a whim, I approached him and asked him if he ever had any kitchen scraps that he could save for the chickens or did he compost.
Apparently he doesn’t compost because he replied by asking me if they would eat cooked rice. I told him that they loved rice.
He then told me that he and his wife run a little Cuban restaurant and that they throw away lots of rice and other stuff every day and that he would be happy to bring some home for me on a regular basis.

It pays to reach out to your neighbors. I feel very fortunate and grateful.

The Lord provides!

Back
Top Bottom