Can you feed your chickens sunflowers?

I planted giant sunflowers in the garden last year. Once they were finally done....heads flopped over and looked like they were drying up I would put them in the run. They thought I was trying to kill them on the first one. Went back later and not one single seed was left. So, yes.....plant them, grow them and they will eat them. Sunflower seeds are BOSS.

I had a small patch of milo coming up where I fed birds the previous winter. It is a GREAT free feeding patch when it finally is ready for the chickens. I just bend the stalk over and they pick at it and eat. Milo and the sunflowers come up out of the bird feed. The sunflowers are very prolific and grow in anything. Free feed!

I put a large sunflower that was drying up in my chickens fresh vegetable bowl when I put it out a couple of days ago, and they all looked at it as if it was an alien and AlleyOop,
one of my barred rocks jumped in the bowl of fresh romaine, watermelon, blueberries, and pomegranate and kicked her feet until she kicked that big Sunflower out of the big feed bowl. About an hour later I noticed that Magpie, my Jersey Giant hen was running around the yard with it in her mouth and about 9 or 10 hens running behind her.

Back
Top Bottom