Can you freeze chicken food?

Oct 11, 2023
Arizona
Hey friends, I’m a first time chicken owner in Arizona. It has been reaching 80°+ this week, and my chickens have started panting. I was wondering if I could put water in their food, mash it, then put it in the fridge or freezer. I used to do this when they were chicks, but I never refrigerated or froze it. I’m thinking it could be a good treat idea.

Also, any tips for the heat would he awesome.

Hey friends, I’m a first time chicken owner in Arizona. It has been reaching 80°+ this week, and my chickens have started panting. I was wondering if I could put water in their food, mash it, then put it in the fridge or freezer. I used to do this when they were chicks, but I never refrigerated or froze it. I’m thinking it could be a good treat idea.

Also, any tips for the heat would he awesome.
If the wet food freezes into a solid block, the chickens will not be able to eat it. So I would not recommend freezing it.

Refrigerating should not cause any problems, although it is probably easier to just mix the dry food with cold water and skip the refrigerator step.

If you wet the food only mix enough that they can clean up in a reasonable time. You don't want it to go moldy. But a lot of people make a wet mash out of their feed.

Back
Top Bottom