Can you guess my silkies???

thepouts

Songster
7 Years
Mar 14, 2013
This is Henry and "she" is 9ish weeks...

This is lulu and "she" is 10ish weeks...

This is cookie and "she" is 12-13 weeks

I'm no expert, and apparently silkies are tough, BUT I would guess that Henry and Lulu are boys and Cookie is a girl. This I'm basing on wattle/comb development. Heres a thread of my two silkies:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/773378/sexing-my-silkies-this-one-could-be-easy

Theyre ten weeks old in the photos and you can see the obvious difference in their wattles. Rusty started getting serious wattle development around 8 weeks (and rapidly grew from then on) and he started crowing at 12 weeks old and Furgi still has no signs of any wattle or comb development (and im confident from her hape she is a girl)! They're 13 week old now.

Thank you :( I was hoping lulu was a girl. I took a look at your pics they are both beautiful silkies !!

See there you go! Theres still definitely hope for Lulu. Just give it a bit of time and wait for a crow or an egg. That is if you need to rehome them if theyre roos! Lulu does seem to have the pom pom/puff haircut that the hens get, so who knows!

And thanks for the compliment on my silkies! Your silkies are gorgeous too! I've yet to really see a silkie that wasnt though! Gotta love the little fluff balls!

Yay there's still hope left I know it can be hard to sex a silkie.

I was hoping her puff was a good sign but who knows right?!

Alex you were right! Lulu and Henry both crowed within days of one another. Cookie was a hen but very sadly she became unwell.

I've got another 2 silkies developing similar head gear so I'm just waiting for them to crow too :( I don't think ill ever get any hens lol

Nawww, I'm sorry I was right! Lulu was such nice colouring. And I'm also really sorry to hear about poor Cookie! :(

How old are the new two? You'[ve got to get a hen eventually!!!

Thanks. Lulu is really beautiful. They're about 10 weeks and one of them was trying out his new crow this morning! Aargh!!! That's 4 roosters in about 3 weeks lol

Nawww, that is heartbreaking! Are these chickens you have bred yourself? I was lucky and over the moon to have gotten 7 hens and 1 roo in my first lot of chickens ever that I picked up as unsexed day olds!

Back
Top Bottom