Can you guess the gender of these silkies? I know what they are. Do you?

 here are the correct answers!

Pookie - cockerel
View attachment 3206762
Junior - cockerel
View attachment 3206763
Loyd - pullet
View attachment 3206766
Rosie - pullet
View attachment 3206768
Carlos - cockerel
View attachment 3206769
So pretty! Is that a color enhancing filter or is Pookies comb that vibrant? Mine has more of a purple tint to it and he’s about five or six months old now. It’s amazing how different our silkies look but then they’re all the same breed.

I’ve heard that when it comes to sexing silkies (by a breeder) you can tell by how many ridges are on their comb… based off that picture and pookie being a male it’s two ridges for a roo?

So pretty! Is that a color enhancing filter or is Pookies comb that vibrant? Mine has more of a purple tint to it and he’s about five or six months old now. It’s amazing how different our silkies look but then they’re all the same breed.

I’ve heard that when it comes to sexing silkies (by a breeder) you can tell by how many ridges are on their comb… based off that picture and pookie being a male it’s two ridges for a roo?
Nope, those pictures aren't edited. Pookie is a cuckoo and and the cuckoo gene often likes to lighten the comb. My other cuckoo pullet's comb is also pink instead of being dark (though definitely not as vibrant).

I've heard about that method of sexing silkies, but I've never tried it myself. I'm not sure if it works. Ive had silkies with many different looking combs. Some completely flat, some very bumpy. I'm really not much help here, sorry. I can include a photo of Pookies brother (probably not related but hatched together). His comb is very diffrent from Pookie's.

Attachments

• 20220930_080442.jpg
    20220930_080442.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 4
Nope, those pictures aren't edited. Pookie is a cuckoo and and the cuckoo gene often likes to lighten the comb. My other cuckoo pullet's comb is also pink instead of being dark (though definitely not as vibrant).

I've heard about that method of sexing silkies, but I've never tried it myself. I'm not sure if it works. Ive had silkies with many different looking combs. Some completely flat, some very bumpy. I'm really not much help here, sorry. I can include a photo of Pookies brother (probably not related but hatched together). His comb is very diffrent from Pookie's.
Oh it’s completely fine! I’m just trying to learn all the successful methods of sexing… here’s my silkie roo, Kia, he looks so different!

Attachments

• 7A3582F0-D9B0-4D91-8CBF-D7D97E036C36.jpeg
    7A3582F0-D9B0-4D91-8CBF-D7D97E036C36.jpeg
    616.1 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom