Can you guess where these names came from?

Rosaleen

Songster
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Danville, Vermont
I have a clutch of eight week old bantam Cochins. Can you guess where the names came from?

Three cockerels: Carton, Heathcliff (hint: he's the bully of the group) and Darnay
Four pullets: Nellie, Miss Pross, Pitty Pat and Ladybird

Carton for egg carton???
hu.gif

Carton and Darnay are from Tale of Two Cities. Heathcliff, I assume, is from Wuthering Heights. Miss Pross sounds like she is also from Dickens, but I don't know which novel. I don't know the others
sad.png

I have 2 cockerels named Wickham and Willoughby and 2 pullets named Lizzie and Marianne
smile.png

Creative names! I've never really named my chickens after any characters from books - the closest I would get to picking a classic name was "Tolland" for a hen... after Michael Tolland from Deception Point.
hide.gif

Not all my birds' names are from literature. I have a silkie named Hootchie Mama. Another hen was named as the result of a writing contest I had for my fifth graders ... Name That Hen ... The kids had to write a persuasive piece convincing me this would make a good name (the name needed to come dorm history, literature or mythology). Lots of fun with that one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom