Can you help a newbie who is trying their best?

Flock o Dinos

Chirping
Aug 30, 2022
South central PA
Hi all! I’m new to bird ownership, and brand spanking new to this forum. I’ve been able to find a ton of information, but I still have some questions that I would love, if possible, to get answered by people with lots of experience.
Sorry, this is going to be a long post. I just want to explain everything that’s happened and where I’m at with my birds.
I purchased 15 fancy guinea fowl keets who hatched on July 19. I put them on a game bird starter crumble, put them in a brooder at 95°, put down footing that they could not eat and was not slippery, had water they could not fall into, and sincerely thought I had an excellent start for them. Starting when they were eight days old, they began to die. Long story short, I only have three left.
I think they may have caught some sort of disease. I’ve never raised foul before, so I don’t know what is normal. There were lots of pasty butts, and I would clean them every day. I thought it was just a combination of stress from shipping and simply being kind of gross little creatures Lol. When it didn’t clear up and they started to die, that obviously changed.
The first two birds that died were really failing to thrive, so I was disappointed but not surprised to find them dead. Then it started happening to other birds that seemed fine. They would start to act subdued and not quite right and usually die within six hours, but sometimes stayed alive for several days.
I unfortunately was unable to find an antibiotic that could be given in small enough dosages for these guys, and nothing avian specific. I added probiotics and electrolytes to their water. I tried to give extra support to any that I noticed were off, but I don’t know how to force feed and didn’t want to aspirate them.
I was so looking forward to starting a flock, and that was absolutely miserable to go through and I feel like a horrible person.
The remaining three are doing excellent, but now I’m not sure where to go from here.
I have them in a 110 gallon water trough as their step up Bruder to give them a bit more space. Once they are old enough, they’re going to go in a stall in the barn. We’ve put up a ton of chicken wire to hopefully keep the birds in and predators out.
So, my questions:
• at what age can I start letting them out to free range? 12 weeks? And with just three birds, how would you recommend I go about it? I was probably going to start by letting just one out, letting it explore for a bit, and then hurting it back inside. How long can I do that before letting two or all three of them out?
• if it turns out I have two cocks and one hen, am I going to have aggression issues? Are they like chickens in that respect? If it’s all cocks or all hens, will they still stick together?
• at what age can I start feeding treats? I gave these guys cucumber that I chopped into super tiny pieces about a week ago, and I recently started bringing them handfuls of grass. If it’s warm enough, I stick them outside in a dog crate with no bottom while I clean out their Bruder so they can experience the outdoors and nibble on the grass. Since I would like to train them to come back to their stall in the barn at night, I want to reinforce them with lots of treats to make me and their stall a good thing.
Can I start giving small amounts of treats at an earlier age? I want to pick dandelions for them, do they only eat certain parts? Should I tear them up, or just drop the whole plant in?
• what could I do differently next time? I was initially using puppy training pads for footing, but switched to large kiln dried pine shavings when I moved these three into the bigger been at about four weeks of age. I would have had to do this much sooner with a bunch more birds though. Should I have change the bedding sooner? Later?
• how much space do growing keets need? I kind of hate to keep these three in a small space, I can’t imagine having a dozen. How large of a space do you generally have for your very young birds?
• if I do get more (I want to, three doesn’t seem like enough and I worry about what would happen if a single bird was left on its own), how could I go about integrating them? At what age would that be appropriate?
• what suggestions do you have for making the stall as enriching and species appropriate as possible? I’m going to put actual branches up at various heights for roosting. What would you suggest I put on the floor? I imagine it will get quite stinky and gross in there if it’s not reasonably easy to clean. What might they like for laying once they’re old enough?

I’m sorry this is so long. I did a ton of research to try to do best by the birds, and I’m really devastated with how things have gone. If there is anyone willing to answer even some of these questions, I would be extremely appreciative.

HI and welcome to BYC.

Sorry about your loss, guineas are not easy esp when they are young. Not sure where you are at but if you are thinking about getting more guineas( 8-10) is a healthy flock I'd start looking around now . The sooner you can integrate them the better. Does the stall in the barn have a pop door ground level so they can go outside? That is what you need, guineas are ground birds and tht is how they will go in and out. Chicken wire is ok for a run, but for sealing up a coop for over night hardware cloth is recommended, no raccoon paws can reach through and grab. necks and heads. At the young age of (12 weeks or so ) your birds will hardly be free ranging, more just learning the land and the world. They will be very timid. I'd let one out while the others watch it and switch them around everyday and then you'll be able to let them out under supervision for a while.
There are quite a few on here that are very knowledgeable and I am sure they will be chiming in. Good luck

Starting when they were eight days old, they began to die. Long story short, I only have three left.
That is about the time that coccidiosis can kick in. Did you try treating with Corid?
if it turns out I have two cocks and one hen, am I going to have aggression issues? Are they like chickens in that respect? If it’s all cocks or all hens, will they still stick together?
If you have two cocks and one hen, one of the cocks will be the dominant one and will breed the hen. The other cock will help guard her.

If the cocks are evenly matched, the dominance battle can be extended.
at what age can I start feeding treats? I gave these guys cucumber that I chopped into super tiny pieces about a week ago, and I recently started bringing them handfuls of grass. If it’s warm enough, I stick them outside in a dog crate with no bottom while I clean out their Bruder so they can experience the outdoors and nibble on the grass. Since I would like to train them to come back to their stall in the barn at night, I want to reinforce them with lots of treats to make me and their stall a good thing.
Can I start giving small amounts of treats at an earlier age? I want to pick dandelions for them, do they only eat certain parts? Should I tear them up, or just drop the whole plant in?
Treats can be given at any age as long as they have appropriately sized grit available.

Treats should be limited. More harm is done to poultry by well meaning owners by providing too many treats because "they really like them."
what could I do differently next time? I was initially using puppy training pads for footing, but switched to large kiln dried pine shavings when I moved these three into the bigger been at about four weeks of age. I would have had to do this much sooner with a bunch more birds though. Should I have change the bedding sooner? Later?
What you did was fine. The recommendation I see is to not put them on shavings until they are at last 2 weeks old and to provide grit whenever they are on shavings.
how much space do growing keets need? I kind of hate to keep these three in a small space, I can’t imagine having a dozen. How large of a space do you generally have for your very young birds?
I start my keets in a 4'x4' brooder. In the case that I still have any unsold by the time they are 2 weeks old, they then go into my grow out pen which is around 10'x14'.
if I do get more (I want to, three doesn’t seem like enough and I worry about what would happen if a single bird was left on its own), how could I go about integrating them? At what age would that be appropriate?
The younger keets are when you want to introduce more, the easier it is to introduce them. It can be difficult integrating adults or keets into an adult flock.

The see but no touch method works for me. Once the attacks against the separatiing wire stops, I start releasing the new ones, one or two at a time.
I’m going to put actual branches up at various heights for roosting.
If using natural branches, it is recommended to remove the bark from them. Leaving the bark on provides desirable hiding places for lice, etc. I recommend that the roosts be at least 2" or more in diameter.
what suggestions do you have for making the stall as enriching and species appropriate as possible? I’m going to put actual branches up at various heights for roosting. What would you suggest I put on the floor? I imagine it will get quite stinky and gross in there if it’s not reasonably easy to clean.
Put down PDZ or some other ammonia reducing agent before you add any bedding. My experience is that it works best if it is under the bedding.

Thank you! It’s been really tough. I know they can be delicate when they’re young, but I never expected things to go this poorly.
The stall is approximately 8 x 10‘, and largely has solid walls. The chicken wire mostly is there to block holes so things can’t get in and out. It also runs from the top of the divider between the stall and the next-door tack room and the ceiling so that the birds can’t fly over. Once the birds are allowed to go in and out at will, I’m going to put up a stall guard so that the birds can walk under but the horses cannot go in.
Suggestions for where I might find more keets?
I ordered this group of fancy‘s from a hatchery. A local feed store theoretically carries them, but I would call once or twice a day for months on end and they were almost never in stock because they sell out so quickly.
Thank you for the feedback :)

HI and welcome to BYC.

Sorry about your loss, guineas are not easy esp when they are young. Not sure where you are at but if you are thinking about getting more guineas( 8-10) is a healthy flock I'd start looking around now . The sooner you can integrate them the better. Does the stall in the barn have a pop door ground level so they can go outside? That is what you need, guineas are ground birds and tht is how they will go in and out. Chicken wire is ok for a run, but for sealing up a coop for over night hardware cloth is recommended, no raccoon paws can reach through and grab. necks and heads. At the young age of (12 weeks or so ) your birds will hardly be free ranging, more just learning the land and the world. They will be very timid. I'd let one out while the others watch it and switch them around everyday and then you'll be able to let them out under supervision for a while.
There are quite a few on here that are very knowledgeable and I am sure they will be chiming in. Good luck

That is about the time that coccidiosis can kick in. Did you try treating with Corid?

If you have two cocks and one hen, one of the cocks will be the dominant one and will breed the hen. The other cock will help guard her.
That’s a relief!
If the cocks are evenly matched, the dominance battle can be extended.

Treats can be given at any age as long as they have appropriately sized grit available.
Could you please define appropriately sized? Now I’m second-guessing everything I do 😅

Treats should be limited. More harm is done to poultry by well meaning owners by providing too many treats because "they really like them."
No worries there. I am incredibly vigilant about keeping my animals at a healthy weight and on an appropriate diet. Treats will be for training them to see humans as a good thing, their stall as somewhere to go back to, and possibly enrichment – like some lettuce on a hot summer day or something like that.

What you did was fine. The recommendation I see is to not put them on shavings until they are at last 2 weeks old and to provide grit whenever they are on shavings.
Good to know, thank you!

I start my keets in a 4'x4' brooder. In the case that I still have any unsold by the time they are 2 weeks old, they then go into my grow out pen which is around 10'x14'.
I’ve been worried about my spaces being too small. I’ve always been kind of obsessed with that lol. Like, I built my three guinea pigs a 7 x 3‘ cage. I’m definitely going to have to make some improvements for the birds. Granted, I want them to free range. But if raising youngsters again, I definitely want them to be happy until they’re old enough to go out. How many birds can comfortably live in your brooder and run?
The younger keets are when you want to introduce more, the easier it is to introduce them. It can be difficult integrating adults or keets into an adult flock.

The see but no touch method works for me. Once the attacks against the separatiing wire stops, I start releasing the new ones, one or two at a time.
I was worried about that being the case. Creating a space where the birds can have contact through wire might be kind of a PITA to make because of the set up I am utilizing. I’ll have to figure something out…
If using natural branches, it is recommended to remove the bark from them. Leaving the bark on provides desirable hiding places for lice, etc. I recommend that the roosts be at least 2" or more in diameter.
I never thought about the bark, thank you!
Put down PDZ or some other ammonia reducing agent before you add any bedding. My experience is that it works best if it is under the bedding.
Awesome, that’s exactly what I was planning on doing! No one ever warned me how stinky these little birds are 😂

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!

OK, some of my response doesn’t appear to be there? I’m really struggling. This website isn’t the most accessible, and it’s not playing nice with my screen reader. Sorry if I ever post anything in a weird format, multiple times, or something like that. I’m trying my best lol.
I’ve never even heard of Corid. 😟
I contacted both my equine and canine veterinarians when the birds were sick, but neither of them were able to help me of course. I knew it was a stretch, but no one around here treats birds.
I googled every keyword combination I could think of, but never came across anything about coxidiosis or Corid.
I was so worried that I wasn’t doing everything I could to help the birds, and it sounds like that might be the case 😢

Hi all! I’m new to bird ownership, and brand spanking new to this forum. I’ve been able to find a ton of information, but I still have some questions that I would love, if possible, to get answered by people with lots of experience.
Sorry, this is going to be a long post. I just want to explain everything that’s happened and where I’m at with my birds.
I purchased 15 fancy guinea fowl keets who hatched on July 19. I put them on a game bird starter crumble, put them in a brooder at 95°, put down footing that they could not eat and was not slippery, had water they could not fall into, and sincerely thought I had an excellent start for them. Starting when they were eight days old, they began to die. Long story short, I only have three left.
I think they may have caught some sort of disease. I’ve never raised foul before, so I don’t know what is normal. There were lots of pasty butts, and I would clean them every day. I thought it was just a combination of stress from shipping and simply being kind of gross little creatures Lol. When it didn’t clear up and they started to die, that obviously changed.
The first two birds that died were really failing to thrive, so I was disappointed but not surprised to find them dead. Then it started happening to other birds that seemed fine. They would start to act subdued and not quite right and usually die within six hours, but sometimes stayed alive for several days.
I unfortunately was unable to find an antibiotic that could be given in small enough dosages for these guys, and nothing avian specific. I added probiotics and electrolytes to their water. I tried to give extra support to any that I noticed were off, but I don’t know how to force feed and didn’t want to aspirate them.
I was so looking forward to starting a flock, and that was absolutely miserable to go through and I feel like a horrible person.
The remaining three are doing excellent, but now I’m not sure where to go from here.
I have them in a 110 gallon water trough as their step up Bruder to give them a bit more space. Once they are old enough, they’re going to go in a stall in the barn. We’ve put up a ton of chicken wire to hopefully keep the birds in and predators out.
So, my questions:
• at what age can I start letting them out to free range? 12 weeks? And with just three birds, how would you recommend I go about it? I was probably going to start by letting just one out, letting it explore for a bit, and then hurting it back inside. How long can I do that before letting two or all three of them out?
• if it turns out I have two cocks and one hen, am I going to have aggression issues? Are they like chickens in that respect? If it’s all cocks or all hens, will they still stick together?
• at what age can I start feeding treats? I gave these guys cucumber that I chopped into super tiny pieces about a week ago, and I recently started bringing them handfuls of grass. If it’s warm enough, I stick them outside in a dog crate with no bottom while I clean out their Bruder so they can experience the outdoors and nibble on the grass. Since I would like to train them to come back to their stall in the barn at night, I want to reinforce them with lots of treats to make me and their stall a good thing.
• what could I do differently next time? I was initially using puppy training pads for footing, but switched to large kiln dried pine shavings when I moved these three into the bigger been at about four weeks of age. I would have had to do this much sooner with a bunch more birds though. Should I have change the bedding sooner? Later?
• how much space do growing keets need? I kind of hate to keep these three in a small space, I can’t imagine having a dozen. How large of a space do you generally have for your very young birds?
• if I do get more (I want to, three doesn’t seem like enough and I worry about what would happen if a single bird was left on its own), how could I go about integrating them? At what age would that be appropriate?
• what suggestions do you have for making the stall as enriching and species appropriate as possible? I’m going to put actual branches up at various heights for roosting. What would you suggest I put on the floor? I imagine it will get quite stinky and gross in there if it’s not reasonably easy to clean. What might they like for laying once they’re old enough?

I’m sorry this is so long. I did a ton of research to try to do best by the birds, and I’m really devastated with how things have gone. If there is anyone willing to answer even some of these questions, I would be extremely appreciative.
First off, I love your username and I want to welcome you to BYCs!!! :welcome

It looks like you’ve already gotten some good responses. I agree that the timeline would make me think of coccidiosis first. A few resources:

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/comments/522483/

You’ll find lots more on this common infectious protozoal disease in BYCs and on the web. Due to the possibility of coccidial resistance, I use the high dose in water treatment as needed, rather than the low dose in medicated feed.

If possible, it would be great to get more keets now and integrate them for a few reasons: 1) ease of integration and 2) a small Guinea flock is much more likely to be decimated by predators. Guinea fowl need a flock to help look for and react to predators. A new flock has a very steep learning curve already, and having so few flock members means that they will get picked off quick. I’d keep them confined or supervised until you can add to the flock.

As for where, if you can find them locally, they will be hardier. Where are you located? I’m trying to sell keets now so I see others advertised too on my local Craigslist. I also advertise on Facebook, but it’s against their rules so you have to be sneaky about it. If you search for and join local poultry groups in your area on FB, you may find some discreetly worded posts about PMing them for more details. If you can’t do those, I’d try mail order again. It’s a roll of the dice so maybe a closer hatchery would help get them to you faster and healthier. Best of luck and please let us know how it’s going!

First off, I love your username and I want to welcome you to BYCs!!! :welcome

It looks like you’ve already gotten some good responses. I agree that the timeline would make me think of coccidiosis first. A few resources:

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/comments/522483/

You’ll find lots more on this common infectious protozoal disease in BYCs and on the web. Due to the possibility of coccidial resistance, I use the high dose in water treatment as needed, rather than the low dose in medicated feed.

If possible, it would be great to get more keets now and integrate them for a few reasons: 1) ease of integration and 2) a small Guinea flock is much more likely to be decimated by predators. Guinea fowl need a flock to help look for and react to predators. A new flock has a very steep learning curve already, and having so few flock members means that they will get picked off quick. I’d keep them confined or supervised until you can add to the flock.

As for where, if you can find them locally, they will be hardier. Where are you located? I’m trying to sell keets now so I see others advertised too on my local Craigslist. I also advertise on Facebook, but it’s against their rules so you have to be sneaky about it. If you search for and join local poultry groups in your area on FB, you may find some discreetly worded posts about PMing them for more details. If you can’t do those, I’d try mail order again. It’s a roll of the dice so maybe a closer hatchery would help get them to you faster and healthier. Best of luck and please let us know how it’s going!

Back
Top Bottom