can you help me indentify this handsome fella?

lamNervousNellie

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Mishawaka, Indiana
this is rocky, he's our only roo and is one year old. this picture was taken in the fall but he looks just the same. i'm curious as to what breed(s) he is because we've hatched 8 of his babies so far in the past 3 days!
jumpy.gif
all of the hens he's mated with are RIRs, and i'm very curious as to what they'll look like! any guesses? thanks

(sorry the pic is sideways, i couldn't get it to rotate!!!)

83702_rocky.png

Quote:
geez, you hit that right on the nose! i spent like two hours googling & trying to find images of roos similar to rocky, to no avail. i googled red-sex link rooster images & there he was! thank you, akcountrygrrl!
frow.gif

i was so excited to find out rocky's breed i forgot to ask!:

is there any way of sexing my newborn chicks? i've heard that RIR's are easy to sex at a young age because they have a very dark line on their head.. since these are a cross between a red-sex link & RIR, would a similar trick work? i've included some pictures below of rocky & the 2 hens believed to be the "moms".. there is a lighter hen, goldie, and a darker hen (unnamed). i've noticed that some of the chicks are a more solid yellow, and some are a little darker, with 2 stripe-like markings running down their bodies, which leads me to wonder: are these markings a way to tell the sex, or could they simply mean that they were bred from different hens? i posted a pic of the chicks below but it may be hard to see the markings. you can see that the chick furthest to the right is darker than the others. does anyone have ideas on what this could mean? also, is there a specific name for these chicks (red-sex link crossed with RIR)?

rocky and the ladies:
83702_rocky_barn.jpg

the chicks!!!
jumpy.gif
83702_chicks.jpg

thanks!!!

Your chicks are a barnyard mix and can not be sexed by color, markings, etc. Any hens should be great layers and the boys should get solid enough for a nice meal in a few months!

Both of your hens look to be production reds and the one actually looks like it might be a red sex link (the lighter of the two). Unfortunately, breeding sex links to other birds won't produce more sex links. You basically end up with barnyard crosses and you'll have to wait until the chicks are older to sex them.

Back
Top Bottom