Can you identify this snake?

Jan2012

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 1, 2012
Central FL
Was in my dining room this morning thanks to holes in the laundry room wall inherited from the former owner. DH chased (with a very long stick) onto back porch and caught in this box and released in woods out back.

I think it smelled the babies I have inside (now a month old).

The good thing is it got him to plug the hole.

This is the second snake we encountered on our 7 acres since we moved here in January. First was a rattler right next to the house. 7 acres and right next to the stinking house!

Anyway new snake had a solid colored bottom. Pictures were best I could do, wasn't getting next to that thing without a barrier between us.

Bottom picture is one of my newest babies. Would a snake that size be able to harm her?

I'm not familiar with the species in your area but I don't think that little guy could eat a chick. It may be a corn snake; some varieties are striped. If it is a corn snake, it's pretty harmless. They are a small constrictor that primarily go for rodents. If it's a garter snake, also harmless; they eat bugs. I'll see what I can find on google.

Looks like a chicken snake to me, I have already killed 2 this year 1 was over 6' long and was in the nest box with his lips around one of my eggs, when I grabbed him behind the neck he turned it loose. Never had one attack the chicks yet but I'm sure they will given the opportunity. Do a google search for chicken snake and look at the pic's to compare.

here is a link i found check out the comments.

http://www.southernagrarian.com/chicken-snakes/

Last edited:
Do the markings on the head look like the ones in these pics?

http://www.allaboutcornsnakes.com/cs_anerythristic_stripe.html

If so, it's a corn snake aka rat snake aka chicken snake. Its size will determine what it can eat. My guy is about 5'6" (i have an ordinary brown corn snake) and while he could probably wrap his head around a rat we don't feed him anything bigger than an adult mouse.

It is a Yellow Rat snake (chicken snake.) I have lost chicks, pullets and cockerals to this snake. Kill it. Relocating is useless, it'll return eventually.

Last edited:
Don't kill it! Give it to someone as a pet or find a breeder who wants it! The gray with black stripes is quite uncommon (in the pet and collector industry here, anyway), I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find a home for it :) I'd take it but I'm too far away.

Don't kill it! Give it to someone as a pet or find a breeder who wants it! The gray with black stripes is quite uncommon (in the pet and collector industry here, anyway), I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find a home for it
smile.png
I'd take it but I'm too far away.
It is a Yellow Rat snake, yellow and black stripes. They are very aggressive and will strike at you. Breeder? LOL, dont need a breeder down here. Just go in the woods or swamp, you'll find them...along with plenty other snakes and other things that bite, sting, suck etc etc etc...

Back
Top Bottom