can you incubate eggs under a heat lamp?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by hatching under a heat lamp being challenging. Could you please clarify?
What @TwoCrows stated. It will be very hard to keep your humidity up enough for them to hatch. It will be easier if you can use an enclosure of some kind. Something that still gets fresh air, but keeps the humidity high.

Ok, I think I might do that. I think that is a great idea to have the eggs in there. Thanks for suggesting it!
Your welcome. Check out You Tube for homemade incubators and you might find tips on finishing up the hatch. Diyers and or preppers have some great innovations to think outside the box. I had thought about making my own igloo incubator but never got around to it.

A few days ago, I posted a thread seeking advice on incubating eggs under a heat lamp. Today marks the 5th or 6th day of the incubation process and every morning, I diligently check the temperature and roll the eggs. To ensure the eggs receive enough moisture, I fill a bowl of water regularly. At 4 pm, I check the temperature and roll the eggs again. Before calling it a night, I check the temperature one last time and roll the eggs. After 5 to 6 days, I decided to candle the eggs and I am thrilled to report that it worked! My sister and I candled the eggs and found that 17 out of 20 eggs had veins indicating successful incubation. While they may not appear to have veins at first glance, a closer look reveals the positive results. I am excited to continue the incubation process and see the end result. Have a wonderful day!
Welcome to BYC!!

When it's time for them to hatch, I'd have a plan to keep the incubator humid for the necessary 48 hours. Whether that means a damp towel, or regularly spraying distilled water into the incubator through a small hole (so as not to lose heat), or whatever, I'd definitely invest in a hygrometer before then so I could tell how successful my efforts were.

Also invest in some small medicine syringes -- the plastic-tipped kind used to give oral doses, not the kind with needles. If any of your chicks get stuck at pipping, you may need to inject drops of water into the egg to help them slide around and work their way out.

(I had one chick who had pipped but seemed shrink-wrapped. I carefully dripped water into her shell while holding the egg upright (so she wouldn't drown), and the extra water made her shell slippery enough that she was able to unzip the rest of the way and climb out by herself. If I hadn't helped her, she would have died, because the albumin had become too dry and sticky for her to move. Thanks to the intervention, she's almost three weeks old, big and fluffy and sturdy, and she comes right over to me whenever I visit the brooder.)

Good luck, and please keep us informed of your progress!

Hey there! I just wanted to give you an update on my chicks. They're doing really well and I've noticed that they're starting to develop eyes! It's such an amazing thing to witness their growth and development every day. I can't wait to see what other changes they'll go through as they continue to grow. Today marks the 8th day.

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 31
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 31
Hey there! I just wanted to give you an update on my chicks. They're doing really well and I've noticed that they're starting to develop eyes! It's such an amazing thing to witness their growth and development every day. I can't wait to see what other changes they'll go through as they continue to grow. Today marks the 8th day.

Great!
Might want to trace the air cells to keep and eye on the moisture loss due to the open 'incubator'.

Back
Top Bottom