Can you keep Guinea Fowl and Chickens in the same coop?

OpheliaChick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 9, 2009
CT
My Dad really wanted when I first got chickens. I wanted to get him a few Guinea Fowl for Christmas but we really have no place to put them other then our chicken coop. So my question is can you keep Guinea Fowl and Chickens in the same coop? Will the Chickens pick on the Guinea Fowl?

Yes you can. But you have to be careful about them getting along. Most people say that Guineas will pick on chickens, but I've had the opposite happen.

My bantam WC Polish roo didn't like the way the guineas looked as his girl.

I will be getting some more guineas and chickens in the spring and I will keep them together.

Thank you everyone! Does anyone recommedations as to what type I should get. The reason why my Dad wanted them was to eat the ticks around the yard. Is there one breed that is better then the other for that? Thank you again!

They may turn on the chickens as they approach mating age. I had mine with the chickens-had their own roost in the coop. At about 14 weeks old, the alpha male began attacking one particular RIR hen. Then they all began attacking the red girls, then ran my rooster into the woods. After that, I decided that I needed to rehome them....and BYC folks can tell you that mine were very tame, too, unlike most of them.

I'm sorry to hear that Speckledhen.
sad.png
Hmmmm...
hmm.png
What if I kept two Guinea Fowl in a dog house? How much square footage do I need per Guinea Fowl?

I dont remember exactly how large a space is recommended for guineas, but since they only weigh about 4 lbs, probably 2 sf per bird or so. I miss my goonie-birds and one day may try with them again, but won't house them with my chickens at all. I had four guineas in with eleven chickens, so they were fairly even in numbers and decided they owned the joint. They are fabulous tick eaters, though!

Guineas are still quite close to wild, they have not been domesticated as long as chickens and turkeys. They are more closely considered a game bird than anything. It is recommended that each individual guinea needs at LEAST 4 square feet of space to be happy, especially during winter.

Back
Top Bottom