Can you make a hen go broody?

epeloquin

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
Western Massachusetts
I want to add a couple of new hens to my flock but I do not want to go through the process of buying new pullets or laying hens, quarantine and then hope they will integrate well. I added two hens that way before but ended up having to re-home one of them. The new owner of that hen (Buff Orp) slipped a chick under her bum when she went broody and she took to it famously.

I know Buff Orps go broody easily. I have 2 Rhodies, 2 Plymouth Rocks and one Minorca. I would love it if one of them went broody so I could give her a couple chicks. Unfortunately I originally got the Rocks and Rhodies because they don't go broody very often. They are two years old and have never gone broody.

I am would love some ideas.

The usual wisdom is, no, they will go broody if their hormones tell them to, otherwise not. I have read a few times of an "old fashioned" method to make a broody by confining a hen for a few days on a darkened nest on fake eggs, but I have yet to read of someone trying this, much less succeeding. On the other hand, many people slip chicks under broodies with success, especially if they are day old chicks, or no more than 2-3 days. I've done this myself.

Old English Games, Kraienkoppes, Malays, Shamos, Asils, Madagascar Games, Silkies, and some strains of Dorking are the ones most likely to go broody, particularly Old English Games which I understand are almost 100%.. Cochins and Orpingtons are among those "somewhat" likely to do so. On the other hand, a broody of most any breed will occasionally pop up.

C
The usual wisdom is, no, they will go broody if their hormones tell them to, otherwise not.  I have read a few times of an "old fashioned" method to make a broody by confining a hen for a few days on a darkened nest on fake eggs, but I have yet to read of someone trying this, much less succeeding.  On the other hand, many people slip chicks under broodies with success, especially if they are day old chicks, or no more than 2-3 days.  I've done this myself.

Old English Games, Kraienkoppes, Malays, Shamos, Asils, Madagascar Games, Silkies, and some strains of Dorking are the ones most likely to go broody, particularly Old English Games which I understand are almost 100%..  Cochins and Orpingtons are among those "somewhat" likely to do so.  On the other hand, a broody of most any breed will occasionally pop up.
[/quote
X2

If you want a potentially broody hen, you're going to have to get another bird. If they haven't gone broody in 2 years, they pretty much ain't gonna. Hatchery birds have been bred to take the broodiness out, and you can't put that back. They just lack the maternal hormones.

You'll also need a plan for the 50% roosters you'll hatch out.

Back
Top Bottom