Can you make your own Electrolytes for Chickens?

sorry for the double posts and editing... my puter didnt show my post (it froze) so I posted it again and now editing the double post out

Last edited:
Quote:
It is the first post in the Rehydration thread in the EMERGENCIES (I posted the link above)

Quote:
What "other" articles... I only ever saw one mention of it and that was in the introduction to laxatives in general in the SOLUTIONS page from the extension department. I searched extensively on the net and failed to find any mention of it anywhere else.

Diana: Thank you again for the clarification. I figure just going in there I'll find even more good information as I have to search around for the desired tidbit.
smile.png

On the "other articles" as I clearly stated most texts (and thus most text-based articles online and studies for treatment in a professional setting) will not mention molasses. There are tons of other articles if you simply search "poultry toxin flush molasses" - mostly anecdotal, but many many supporting the very respected MSU site.

Quote:
I was wondering, but I doubt anyone's bothered by it. It was more of a tease of "hmm what good information did we ALMOST get but not get yet?"
smile.png

I just wanted to clarify what I meant about intended audience. It does make a lot of difference. Poultry disease texts will not use anecdotal cures, no matter how effective. Poultry care guides will. They're intended for different audiences; they give different information. As long as they're both accurate, I agree, what does it matter.

Which is why I choose to provide anecdotal information that I know works, particularly when it's backed by a university of good reputation.

Poultry disease texts will not use anecdotal cures, no matter how effective.

I beg to differ.... If you take the time to go thru all the research (and the lowly chicken is the most researched animal on the planet) they HAVE been researched (I have the links to the main research journals and extracts at my library including MSU abstracts)... where valid it filters down to the veterinarian level and there it is taken up... in fact I have found many valid veterinarian "anecdotal" (scientificaly valid) such as I posted on the rehydration material earlier from veterinarians that is equally applicable to use for poultry...
ETA:
re molasses not being mentioned ... see the MERCK veterinary manual :
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/202800.htm
(helmenthiasis)
"....Some practitioners recommend the addition of molasses to unmedicated water after piperazine administration, so as to induce an osmotic flushing, theoretically removing any of the remaining worms from the intestinal tract. "​

Last edited:
Quote:
I beg to differ.... If you take the time to go thru all the research (and the lowly chicken is the most researched animal on the planet) they HAVE been researched (I have the links to the main research journals and extracts at my library including MSU abstracts)... where valid it filters down to the veterinarian level and there it is taken up... in fact I have found many valid veterinarian "anecdotal" (scientificaly valid) such as I posted on the rehydration material earlier from veterinarians that is equally applicable to use for poultry...
ETA:
re molasses not being mentioned ... see the MERCK veterinary manual :
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/202800.htm
(helmenthiasis)
"....Some practitioners recommend the addition of molasses to unmedicated water after piperazine administration, so as to induce an osmotic flushing, theoretically removing any of the remaining worms from the intestinal tract. "

I know that article well. That was practicioners, not back yard poultry men.

I don't want to argue this point with you. You obviously disagree with me, and I doubt there's anything I can do to change your mind.

My room is filled with about twelve different diagnostic books and poultry disease manuals that I read nightly for fun and that I reference every time i don't have an answer. I peruse online references, many of which are to the very manuals that I have in my bedroom at my bedside. I know what I see when I read them. ANd you know what you read when you read your links. There's room for more than one opinion on this board, or so I thought, and I will continue to treat yours with respect.

Unless you can prove that the birds that are living because of these treatments actually have NOT been helped, I'd ask that you please respect mine. Or at least ignore them. Please do correct me when I'm blatently and provably wrong; I invite that.

This will be the last I speak on this subject as I think the dead horse hath been thoroughly beat.
smile.png
And as much as I enjoy a good discussion, this one I don't feel is actually helping any birds. That's what I'm here for. Not to prove I'm right. I'm here to hopefully help others help people's birds.

Thank you and I'm glad you're still here providing good advice to others.

Last edited:
I provide very little advice actually except that which comes not from ME but from solid source experts... I do not know enough to disagree with them.

Quote:
The first link I posted in my last post is the EMERGENCIES section > is under REHYDRATION (best solid source electroyte "recipe" I have found but I do not have the conversion there as I wanted to get it as exact as possible)

Quote:
What "other" articles (I have found no other reference whatsoever to epsom or for that matter that any type of laxative would help > it can not be "flushed" out of the system once it has reached the stage where you see symptoms is my understanding.

Once I check double check to see if I can get the conversion more precies , I will post that in the hydration thread also .

I do hope your birdie perks up soon though it might be a couple days or so... you should go to your pet store and get some baby parrot/bird formula (comes in a powder that you add water to) and you can give a wee bit of that at regular intervals if the limber neck is still hampering the bird being able to eat (you must first ensure that it is able to swallow on own so only give a wee bit at a time > cup neck in hand to support head in a natural postion)
Later when the bird is able to eat on own you can add in with the feed to concentrate the nutrition.

Thank you very much and thank everyone for their input. Honestly, I didn't do anything for my pullet, but isolated her from the other chickens and kept her dry and kept water in front of her. Today, she actually started eating again and she can hold her head up now! I think, (now this is just my opinion) that she must of not ingested enough of the moldy food to do her in. And I AM SO GLAD OF THAT. Today she pooped her first poop...it was a white liquid...after that she seemed to start improving. Thanks again guys for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom