Can you retrain a chicken killing dog?

Certain breeds of dogs are not "chicken friendly" unless trained how to be. Obviously this juvenile dog is not bird friendly and must be dealt with if the owner won't. In our letigious society, common sense would dictate you follow the laws of your community and report to the authorities so they will dispose of the dog.
I am an animal lover, but i care no more for that dog than i do my birds, and one bird's life is just as valuable as one dog's, in my eyes. When he is a multiple killer, the good of the many outweighs the good of the individual.

Bird dogs ie Brittanys, Retrievers, Pointers, Setters, Spaniels, and many more; have trouble being around chickens its bred into them to hunt birds ie chickens. I really feel sorry for these dogs. They cant help it, but the owner can!
old.gif
Dont get me wrong, I wont accept dogs killing my chickens. The owner is not being a responsible owner. People that care for their pets should just as much involved in controlling them as taking them to the vet and such. Just tell him what its going to cost when you lose chickens to his unconcerned liability. As far as trying to retrain a bird dog, I wouldnt waist my time. As I said before, they are born and bred that way. I do love bird dogs there is nothing more graceful than watching them point and set birds.

I heard lots of this chin music that a chicken , sheep , etc. killer can be retrained and be a good dog. I can give you many examples... here is one . About 20 years ago one of my neighbors got a Lab x Border collie grump dog from the pound that had killed several chickens as a pup. They spent well over $1 , 0 0 0 . to de-sensitise and be retrained in obedience by a reputable dog expert. Then 2 years later this grump had a litter of 6 pups. When they were about 2 months old, this grump and her 6 got into our laying hen coop ( chewed through the coop door) at 4:30 in the morning and killed 31 of my 33 laying hens. When I heard the commotion I ran out and chased them to their home, woke up the owners and they denied that their dogs did any such thing. Then when they saw blood and feathers on 2 of the pups mouths, they shut up. Two days later they brought over a check for 3 times the cost of the hens as per the law. They gave the pups to the pound but kept the grump that they then kept on the chain. One day about 2 months later, she slipped her collar and killed 11 of another neighbor's chickens. They learned their lesson and took her to the pound to be put to sleep. SSS

Quote:
That is really sad, but it's STILL not an example of a "bad" or "hopeless" dog. And any "trainer" who guarantees that they can "train" the prey drive out of a dog is full of--well, compost. That dog did NOT deserve to be put to sleep. She deserved conscientious owners who cared more about her than to just keep her outside where she could roam free, breed her indiscriminately (and also not care any better for her pups), and then when there was a problem, put her on a CHAIN to live 24/7. And it's the DOG'S fault? Sorry, I just don't agree with that. Those people should never be allowed to have a dog, if that's the level of care they provide.

Honest to gosh, if someone wants a dog THAT badly, I don't see what is so hard about keeping it in the house. Obviously there are exceptions, like dogs who must be outdoors to do their jobs, but generally (with the exception of my neighbors with the Great Pyr) owners who invest in a working dog or dogs are more thoughtful owners, and care for their partners.

If your neighbors dog broke into your yard and killed your dog, cat, or bit your kid- would it deserve another chance because it is a puppy or because the neighbor is irresponsible? How many chances are you going to give it? I really like the 'inventory your birds' post, but it is a little late for that. Don't worry about being a good neighbor. Being a good neighbor doesnt mean you have to let yourself be taken advantage of. Go over there and cry about your pet birds! Don't poison the dog though, that is an aweful cruel way to kill an animal.

Quote:
Actually, some poisons just cause them to bleed internally which, while a little uncomfortable due to distention, not entirely painful. I have witnessed several people bleed to death and they did not exhibit a lot of pain symptoms. Just a thought....
wink.png

Well round here animal control wont do anything unless they see dogs off their property (which the only time they are at their home is when AC comes by...
roll.png
)

But they do offer to come out and set traps. Like big cage traps. If they catch the dog they will haul it off.
Id go that rout. It might not settle with next door but these are your pets.
Hes not home alot anyways to care for the dog (traveling and all..).
It might just be best that way.

I wouldnt go kill someones dog. Thats just wrong and might not sit right with your neighbors. They might want to take action on your pets.
Yes the dogs on your property but....I just wouldnt. Its askin for trouble.

Good luck!

Quote:
That is really sad, but it's STILL not an example of a "bad" or "hopeless" dog. And any "trainer" who guarantees that they can "train" the prey drive out of a dog is full of--well, compost. That dog did NOT deserve to be put to sleep. She deserved conscientious owners who cared more about her than to just keep her outside where she could roam free, breed her indiscriminately (and also not care any better for her pups), and then when there was a problem, put her on a CHAIN to live 24/7. And it's the DOG'S fault? Sorry, I just don't agree with that. Those people should never be allowed to have a dog, if that's the level of care they provide.

Honest to gosh, if someone wants a dog THAT badly, I don't see what is so hard about keeping it in the house. Obviously there are exceptions, like dogs who must be outdoors to do their jobs, but generally (with the exception of my neighbors with the Great Pyr) owners who invest in a working dog or dogs are more thoughtful owners, and care for their partners.

conscientious owners are hard to come by-we wouldn't have so many problems/shelters/pounds if they weren't. I have 2 labs that were chasing my chickens the other day. I chased them away. The owner came looking for them (from 2 streets over) and I told him they were chasing the chickens. He thought it was funny. He said, "Oh, I hope they don't come back to get the chickens". He doesn't have a fence for them. Little does he know dh wasn't here and if he was he would have shot them. One of his dogs opens the door to let them out, irresponsible owner should fix his door. We just lost one of my daughters chickens to my beagles(she flew over the 6ft fence) and my daughter was devastated. I am not going to lose more and watch my daughter all over again because someone is too irresponsible to make sure they take care of their dogs......

Yes, you can...sometimes. We trained our dog to leave them alone after two kills. BUT...every dog is different, and MOST will unfortuantely not give up the habit once started. If you are willing to try though, I think it is commendable. What we did is....

Solidly whooped the dog with the dead chickens...and this was after catching him in the act...I dont think coming at the dog later on would have an affect, they wouldn't know what was up. We literally took the chickens from his mouth and smacked him with them, hard, while yelling, NO! Then, we spent a couple of weeks acclimating him to the chickens. Day and night we took him into the barn to do chores with us, on a leash of course. We made him lie down and allowed the chickens to roost on him during this time. We also locked him in the barn with them at night (their pens were dog- proof) After a few weeks, he came to see them as part of his pack, and they now are living in harmony. He is unsupervised with them, 24 hours a day, and doesnt even blink funny at them. He also chooses to sleep int he barn with them now, and even has made attempts to "herd" them when we are locking them up at night.

I know others have also had success with similar methods, but again, it is the exception that it works, not the rule. Up to you as to how much time and risk (and both are significant) you are willing to take to keep peace with a neighbor and save the dogs life.

Back
Top Bottom