Can you tell if a breeders autosexing chickens aren’t bred for autosexing?

SpotTheCat

Herding cats
Jan 19, 2021
UK
I am looking in to getting I autosexing breed, probably crested cream legbars. But I am a bit worried about getting them then finding out I can’t actually sex them as chicks since the breeder wasn't breeding for it. I will ask they breeder if they do breed for it, but I was wondering if there is anyway to tell before buying from them?

also if they aren't autosexable would it be very difficult to breed for? Is it very easy to breed out?

I am looking in to getting I autosexing breed, probably crested cream legbars. But I am a bit worried about getting them then finding out I can’t actually sex them as chicks since the breeder wasn't breeding for it. I will ask they breeder if they do breed for it, but I was wondering if there is anyway to tell before buying from them?

also if they aren't autosexable would it be very difficult to breed for? Is it very easy to breed out?
Some lines of CCL Are harder to sex than others, some of their males are as dark as female, some females show a faint headspot, You should be able to sex them because their headspot is actually larger and uneven extending to their neck while females even with a headspot theirs is very well defined and small..

Some lines of CCL Are harder to sex than others, some of their males are as dark as female, some females show a faint headspot, You should be able to sex them because their headspot is actually larger and uneven extending to their neck while females even with a headspot theirs is very well defined and small..
thank you! so they should all ways be sexable to some degree?

Just have an honest conversation with the breeder. A breeder that has had their own closed flock for a long time will have fewer issues with ambiguously marked chicks, generally. Crossing lines as new breeders often want to do can scramble things up and make the autosexing traits a bit less reliable. Ultimately, it's merely inconvenient in the first generation because you as a new breeder will cull out any chicks that aren't clearly identifiable and not muddle up your new lines with a lot of outside genetics. Ambiguity can be fixed easily in a single generation if someone wanted to.

Just have an honest conversation with the breeder. A breeder that has had their own closed flock for a long time will have fewer issues with ambiguously marked chicks, generally. Crossing lines as new breeders often want to do can scramble things up and make the autosexing traits a bit less reliable. Ultimately, it's merely inconvenient in the first generation because you as a new breeder will cull out any chicks that aren't clearly identifiable and not muddle up your new lines with a lot of outside genetics. Ambiguity can be fixed easily in a single generation if someone wanted to.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom