Can you use cedar shavings in coop around chickens safely

If you're having a problem with odors, check out a product called Stall Dry, it's a clay product that is mixed with DE and is wonderful for odors. Readily available at any TSC or you can use Sweet PDZ, this is also available at TSC and most feed stores. Cedar oil is volatile for the birds respiratory system, even mixed with pine shavings, it can be too strong for them. Not worth the risk in my opinion. I do the deep litter method, and add shavings and the above and I have no odors. Good luck!!

If you're having trouble with odors, do a double check on your ventilation. If your ventilation is adequate you won't have any smell.

Short answer is no - don't mix the cedar with your shavings. The oils are bad for them. What smells good for us will be deadly for them. Don't work to cover up the smell. Find the source of the problem and fix it.

As mentioned, the esters in the cedar attack the alveoli in chickens highly developed respiratory system. This leads to infection and other respiratory based coniditons.
Avoid cedar altogether. Instead maintain a deep litter of straw, wood shavings, finely chopped leaves. etc. and adequate to superior ventilation.

Quote:
I'm SO GRATEFUL YOU POSTED THIS INFO!
I use feild hay as bedding/ ground cover, it does get smelly quickly, need to change it out twice a week if I lock my chickens in. The good thing with this method is I get good mulching material.(I hope it's good.)
hu.gif

Quote:
I'm SO GRATEFUL YOU POSTED THIS INFO!
I use feild hay as bedding/ ground cover, it does get smelly quickly, need to change it out twice a week if I lock my chickens in. The good thing with this method is I get good mulching material.(I hope it's good.)
hu.gif

Dont change it - keep layering it on. Allow the field hay to start decomposing down below.

To be fair, quite a lot of people use cedar shavings (mixed with pine, or all cedar) in coops and nothing detectably bad happens. Indeed, a lot of giant commercial broiler farms use cedar as bedding, and they have *very strong* incentive to minimize-minimize-MINIMIZE mortality as much as possible.

I am not saying there can't BE problems from using cedar -- IMHO, it is likely to depend on the particular batch of shavings you've got, and on how well ventilated the coop is -- but I think it is demonstrably inaccurate to say that you *can't* use cedar safely.

I wouldn't, myself, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Just sayin',

Pat

thanks everyone for your advice. I am having a problem getting DE around here...even the local coop doesn't carry it, but, I will ask TSC if they have that product. I am not really having a problem with odor too much, but, the "nicer smelling"...the better....especially with handling them. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom