Canadian Bird Auctions - near Ottawa and Montreal

BaronRenfrew

Songster
11 Years
Feb 18, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Hey folks: I went calling a few people I know about area bird sales and here's what I learned.

Ontario (Canada)

Alfred - March 8th - Knights of Columbus Hall
Interprovincial Bird Association www.ipba-aieo.com
Alfred is between Montreal and Ottawa

Vernon - March 15 - Community Centre
Vernon is south of Ottawa

McDonald's Corners - March 16th (near Perth)
info Cheryl McInnis 613-259-3172
in this village just look for the parked cars or follow the ruckus

South Mountain - April 19 - Oxford on Rideau Bird Club
sale is at property of George Jones on Hubert side road
this event replaces the auction previously held at the agriculture college in Kemptville

John Joint is the auctioneer of the above 3 sales
613-283-4730

I have attended the sales at McDonald's corners, Vernon, and Kemptville in the past. sales start at 9 am and run untill all are sold- typically mid afternoon

Anyone can come and buy birds (all are in cardboard boxes with chicken wire fronts) or in cages. To sell at Vernon you had to join the club.

You will find chickens, bantams, ducks, geese, turkeys, pigeons, quail, pheasants, partridges, peafowl and some cage birds; finches, canaries, budgies, etc. also some equipment such as incubators, maybe a few cages, etc.
Also some hatching eggs.

The South Mountain sale will probably include rabbits.
The Kemptville sale had a vendor selling books, incubators, and equipment. I don't know if this vendor is at the South Mountain sale.

To buy migratory birds; mallard ducks, canada geese, you must have a permit before buying. To buy huntable birds i.e. ringneck pheasants, hungarian partridge, and bobwhite quail you are supposed to get a permit after ten days of purchase to keep birds in province of Ontario. (That was true in the 1990's I don't know today or about other provinces.)

I don't get the feathier fancier so I don't know what is listed there. www.featherfancier.on.ca

Quebec

April 5 and April 26 - Ste Madeleine Quebec (Near St Hyacinthe an hour east of Montreal on autoroute 20)
www.aaofq.com Association des Amateurs d'Oiseaux de Fantaisies du Quebec

This bird club was a great website and the auction may be only pheasants, partridges, quail, and other exotics as I don't see info on domestic farm type birds. Its obviously a french speaking group but there'll be a few folks that speak english. I don't know anything about this club as I just moved in the area.

I'll post more info as I have it.

Happy Birding, Bert

Another auction to note:

March 29 2008 12 noon
Perth Fairgrounds (Ontario)

The property of Larry Robinson, Roblyn Eyrie Farm, Perth Ontario will be auctioned off. This includes Chickens: bantams and standards, guineas, peafowl, turkeys, ducks and geese.

Also poultry equipment.

for more info follow this link:

http://www.the-coop.org/cgi-bin/UBB/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001947

Hey folks:

Been to bird sales at McDonald's Corners, Vernon, and the first sale at St Madelaine.

Lots of birds: a good mix of quail, pheasants, chickens, cage birds, partridges, pigeons, doves, ducks and geese.

2 events left: South Mountain and 2nd sale at St madelaine

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone knows more about the South Mountain auction...i'm looking for geese

Thanks.

Last edited:
I've been to this auction (and the Kemptville before it) at least a dozen times and there is always 4 or 5 pairs of geese. Just can't guarantee which breeds. I've never seen pilgrims, but chinese, tulouse and embden are common.

A typical auction is 50 lots with 12 to 15 boxes per lot. That's at least 500 boxes with birds and rabbits for sale.

good luck.

Back
Top Bottom