Cancer or internal laying?

shailey

Songster
5 Years
Sep 11, 2017
My 6 year-old barred rock hen was acting strangely about 5 days ago, (not wanting to go into the coop w everyone for mealtime) I've had issues w this hen in the past so I waited until she roosted to check her abdomen. Just as I had feared, she had a swollen and slightly squishy abdomen.
I brought her inside and checked for the possibility egg binding, set her up in a nice cool and dark enclosure, got her some food and water and waited.

Honey comb has had LOTS of reproductive issues in the past so I was not surprised that she was unwell. No less then five times last year she would have a soft-shelled egg burst inside her, so I would bring her inside, get her comfortable, and wait. She would always pass it (or i would help her) and be fine the next morning. Even with supplements, calcium, protein, everything, it still kept happening.
She even had a swollen abdomen one night, but she was still able to recover.

In the weeks leading up to this, I noticed she had a few right green poos occasionally and I even noticed I tiny bit of blood in one of her droppings, which is why I'm suspecting she has cancer.

She's eating and drinking, but she had bright green poo so I ordered Bytril and started her on a broad spectrum antibiotic in the meantime (it seems to have helped as I'm seeing WAY less green poos) the weird part is she's not declining at all. She's doing alright, I brought her outside today as I was cleaning her cage and she went right to dust bathing even w the swelling, her comb is still up and bright red.

I'm thinking of giving her an epson salt bath later in hopes of helping in some way. Any advice?

I apologize for the long post, I'm just pretty lost here and am looking for any opinions or advice, anything I can do to help my baby 😥

Chronic egg binding won't be cured. It will keep happening until, if the hen is very fortunate, she stops ovulating, or she dies from chronic infection.

But Honey may be responding to this antibiotic, so by all means continue.

Epsom salt baths do more to comfort the human than benefits the hen. It only adds stress, so unless you have an egg stuck in the cloaca, soaks are of little value.

I'm so sorry about your sweet chicken. Did she continue to have watery green and white poop? Could you share an update?

Back
Top Bottom