Candling egg a quitter day 18?

Taxicoco

Hatching
May 11, 2022
Hi, this is my first incubation and the eggs are is pretty dark coloured (Maran), so for a first timer candling has been a little more difficult!

When I last candled on day 15 I saw movement although now after candling today on day 18 before lockdown I'm not sure if it's still alive. The air cell hasn't grown much since day 15 and I can't see movement and with the dark shell I can't figure out if there's healthy veins.

For a late stage quitter around day 15-18 what would you expect? I read that if the embryo is detached and swirls about or if the liquid is cloudy that means it has died. Would that mean if it is still attached the egg is still alive?

I started out with two eggs and then one wasn't fertile, so there's not too much harm in continuing to incubate it alone but it would be good to know.

Hi, this is my first incubation and the eggs are is pretty dark coloured (Maran), so for a first timer candling has been a little more difficult!

When I last candled on day 15 I saw movement although now after candling today on day 18 before lockdown I'm not sure if it's still alive. The air cell hasn't grown much since day 15 and I can't see movement and with the dark shell I can't figure out if there's healthy veins.

For a late stage quitter around day 15-18 what would you expect? I read that if the embryo is detached and swirls about or if the liquid is cloudy that means it has died. Would that mean if it is still attached the egg is still alive?

I started out with two eggs and then one wasn't fertile, so there's not too much harm in continuing to incubate it alone but it would be good to know.
I didn't notice movement in mine on day 17 or 18 (only had 1 in the incubator) thought maybe I saw a vein but wasn't sure. still went with it and sure enough on day 20 it hatched! So don't give up. I was told they don't really move as much at the end and it can be hard to see it or notice it.

My last hatch I thought two green eggs were quitters, but left them in the incubator anyway. They were some of the first to hatch. If insure leave it in the incubator they can surprise you.
Here is my rules for myself when incubating.
  • I never remove any eggs until day 14.
  • Then I don't remove any on lockdown.
I made a mistake thinking one was a quitter and wasn't. I don't ever plan to make that mistake again.

Back
Top Bottom