Candling Green eggs...

chickenlisa

Invincible Summer
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
See my last post in the line " I know you can make this candler" about whether I can candle the green eggs my hen is sitting on. I tried to this way (with the paper towel roll and flashlight, but it didn't work at all.)
Anyone have any luck using this method on green eggs?
Lisa

I candled olive green eggs at 7 days with a slide projector as a candler-it's about the only way. I saw nice veining, too. Here is mine-I made a cushion for the egg made from a twisted washcloth, shaped like a donut. This is the first one I used till the bulb blew, and then I used a slightly more modern one. This one had a 300 watt bulb.
DCP_5182CandlerProjector.jpg

Last edited:
Carole - This slide projector idea is too funny! I'll bet the wattage really made the difference though. I could see little using a 100 watt bulb on my green eggs. But my husband's professional grade flashlight worked pretty well.

What about a 1,000,000 candle spotlight?! Has anyone ever tried THAT?! It would probably blind the poor chicks, but I have to admit in my excitement I considered it. I did resist the urge, however!

Self-controlled,

(not really)

Ann and Jill

I used a regular flashlight and a special LED or whatever its called. My DH collects those-they look like they have many little tiny blueish looking lights all coming out the end of the flashlight. Anyways, neither kind worked on the green eggs. I might try a trouble light or workshop one if I can figure out how to direct the beam at the egg.
Lisa

Last edited:
Quote:
I tried a 1,500,000 candle power spotlight. It didn't work. The lens is way too big. I taped a small tube to it and cover the rest with black plastic and tape. It did not focus much of the available light through the tube. So far, my best candler has been one of the new super bright LED flashlights.

The slide projector sounds like it's worth a try. I've got some real dark Penedescenca eggs where it's difficult to see anything.

Back
Top Bottom