candling/hatching question

Oh ok!! Thanks! I wasn't sure why they looked different! Good to know! I'll Def keep updating!! I'm so excited!!

Last edited:
I have another quick question!! I want to make sure I'm counting days right..do you count the day she started or start counting the day after?? Example:she started sitting 10/19 and today is 10/28 so are we on day 9 or day 10??

I have another quick question!! I want to make sure I'm counting days right..do you count the day she started or start counting the day after?? Example:she started sitting 10/19 and today is 10/28 so are we on day 9 or day 10??

You start counting the day after. Today is Day 9. :)

Ahh! Thought so! Thanks so much! Oh...and I lied..I have yet another quick question..lol!! I have an egg that you can't see through at all. When you put the light up to it its just black. I need to chunk it right?

Ahh! Thought so! Thanks so much! Oh...and I lied..I have yet another quick question..lol!! I have an egg that you can't see through at all. When you put the light up to it its just black. I need to chunk it right?

Has it always been all dark? Does it just have a really thick or colored shell that you can't see through as well? Does the egg smell bad?

The first time I noticed it was the day I candled them which was 2 days ago. I didn't smell anything. They all have a greenish/blueish tint because they are mallard eggs, but idk, when I put my flashlight up to it I can't see anything. I plan on candling again tomorrow since it will be day 10.

Ok so I candled again this morning and it turns out there were more bad eggs than good..:( but I am happy she has 8 good eggs.:) this is her first time so nt too bad I guess. There are a few eggs I am posting a pic of cause I didn't know what was goin on with them! Some input would be great! Lol

This is the one I was saying I couldn't see thru.

This one I'm thinking is a not alive.

This one I was curious about. It has a blood vein running around the egg that you can see at the top, but it has something red just floating around in it.

Closer up pic of the red "blob" floating around in the egg.

The first egg-are you sure of how long the eggs have been incubated? When eggs are close to hatching they would appear like what the 1st picture shows. I believe the other eggs show embryos that have died in development.

Can you see any sign of red blood vessels around the edges of the darkness in the first egg when candling? It does look similar to how they look when about ready to hatch, or an egg that has died very late in development. Are you sure this isn't a much older egg that has been incubated for longer than you were aware? Very odd for an egg that's only been incubated 10-11 days to look like that.

And I agree with nchls school, second egg pictured looks as if it has died.

Does the little red blob in the third egg swim around in there when you're candling (does it move on it's own when you are holding the egg still)? It looks like a little embryo in there for sure. Whether or not it is still alive is the question.

In the first, dark egg, there are no vessels or movement. The blob in the last egg doesn't move either. I go out there to check on them a couple times a day and I also peek out my back door several times since I can see them in my back yard from there. I'm pretty positive on how long she's been sitting..she was very active and I never saw her sitting before the 19th....if it was any sooner than that it possibly could have been the 18th but not before. If she was asleep or lounging, she was outside of the house and the eggs/nest is isnide the house. Now she is always on them unless I go inside the pen where the house is to feed or check the eggs. She has been laying for quite a while..could it just be too old?? When I counted the eggs this morning there were 19 total..11 of which weren't any good.

Back
Top Bottom