candling/hatching question

Just a little update!..candled this evening and air cell has grown a bit from yesterday! (Yay!) I can't really see anything anymore except aircell. All I see is black in the rest of the egg.

had a baby duck hatch today. died though
th.gif
, another is pipping, can see it's beak. think the other two duck eggs have died. incubator spiked 2 days ago. bought it second hand for a hatcher and lockdown bator. I went today, bought stuff and am going to build my own. Good luck tbevans on yours. also have 3 others in another incubator that's due to hatch in 7 days. Maybe I'll just send you these duck eggs tbevans if yours hatch good. Or you come have coffee and teach me.
big_smile.png

Oh no!! So sorry to hear that!! :( mine still hasn't pipped internally. I'm patiently waiting, but it's so hard! Lol I haven't done too good myself! I started off with 4 and only have 1 left! If it weren't for all the help here I wouldn't have had this one!! I can Def help you make one! Lol did you see the pics of mine?? I'm not sure I could teach you much, I'm still,learning myself...but I'm always up for coffee! Haha

Last edited:
Day 27 and still hasn't pipped..should I be worried??? Getting a little discouraged.

Day 27 and still hasn't pipped..should I be worried??? Getting a little discouraged.

No need to worry just yet, it's still early. So long as the little guy is still moving in there. Can you see him pushing on the air cell when you candle?

Remember that 28 days is just a ballpark. Some take a day or two less, some a day or two more. I had one duckling hatch out on day 31 this past Spring. That's pretty late and unusual, but she was fine. :)

I do see some movement when I candle, but it's super hard to see. I suppose I will just have to wait a bit longer and hopefully all will work out!

I do see some movement when I candle, but it's super hard to see. I suppose I will just have to wait a bit longer and hopefully all will work out!
When an incubator is opened during lockdown there's a risk in a change of humidity that could cause the DIS. Consider keeping your incubator closed at this time; it's hard I know, but important for a good hatch.

I haven't upped my humidity yet to go into "lockdown"...the aircell was too small so after discussing it with others I dropped humidity so that the aircell would grow. I was advised to leave it low until it pipped internally. The aircell has grown drastically and is around the normal size now..do I need to start lockdown now? It's been a rollercoaster the last couple weeks so I'm trying to do everything I can to help this little one!

Day 27? A mallard egg? Yes. Lockdown should have started before this. Mallard eggs have an incubation period of 28 days. Lockdown should have begun yesterday if not the day before. Lockdown should start two or three days before the eggs are expected to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom