Candling using iPhone video- game changer for dark eggs??

Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
Last week I posted here about seeing free-floating embryos in my eggs. Several people suggested I post videos to show what I’m seeing. So, I did. I was candling alone, and in order to see inside some of these dark/thick Olive Egger eggs, I needed to use a high-powered flashlight as opposed to my candler.

So… how to take a video, while using 2 hands to hold an egg on a flash light…? Well, I placed my phone face up on the edge of the table (lens pointing to the floor). I was sitting a chair and held the flashlight between my knees. This left me both hands free to securely create a seal around the egg and also turn it. I could see both the actual egg and could see it in the video to make sure I had everything in frame.

Afterward, I played back the videos and noticed that several eggs I had not seen anything in, I could see an embryo! In some cases it was moving! Yet I hadn’t noticed it when I was candling the eggs in "real time" and looking directly at the egg.

So this last time (day 12), I set up my phone again, and realized that the green & grey eggs I couldn’t see inside of in real time, I could see through my phone. I didn’t even have to take a video, just have the camera app open. (Although I think the actual video is even clearer than what I could through the camera app on my phone).

I’m posting the video that really blew my mind. I think my phone is an X-ray machine. Guys, let me tell you that in real time, without looking through the phone, the light absolutely WAS NOT penetrating this egg. At all.

Anyway, give this is a try if you’re having trouble seeing inside of dark eggs (it helped with speckled/porous eggs, too). And if this was a trick that everyone but me already knew, then you should have shared 😂. But I couldn’t find anything about it on this forum, so I wanted to share. Even if you don’t have dark eggs, it still gives you a better view of what’s happening inside your egg.

Last week I posted here about seeing free-floating embryos in my eggs. Several people suggested I post videos to show what I’m seeing. So, I did. I was candling alone, and in order to see inside some of these dark/thick Olive Egger eggs, I needed to use a high-powered flashlight as opposed to my candler.

So… how to take a video, while using 2 hands to hold an egg on a flash light…? Well, I placed my phone face up on the edge of the table (lens pointing to the floor). I was sitting a chair and held the flashlight between my knees. This left me both hands free to securely create a seal around the egg and also turn it. I could see both the actual egg and could see it in the video to make sure I had everything in frame.

Afterward, I played back the videos and noticed that several eggs I had not seen anything in, I could see an embryo! In some cases it was moving! Yet I hadn’t noticed it when I was candling the eggs in "real time" and looking directly at the egg.

So this last time (day 12), I set up my phone again, and realized that the green & grey eggs I couldn’t see inside of in real time, I could see through my phone. I didn’t even have to take a video, just have the camera app open. (Although I think the actual video is even clearer than what I could through the camera app on my phone).

I’m posting the video that really blew my mind. I think my phone is an X-ray machine. Guys, let me tell you that in real time, without looking through the phone, the light absolutely WAS NOT penetrating this egg. At all.

Anyway, give this is a try if you’re having trouble seeing inside of dark eggs (it helped with speckled/porous eggs, too). And if this was a trick that everyone but me already knew, then you should have shared 😂. But I couldn’t find anything about it on this forum, so I wanted to share. Even if you don’t have dark eggs, it still gives you a better view of what’s happening inside your egg.

That makes sense cause sometimes my glass on bator is hard to see through ( scratched over time ) but when I put my phone on video I see clear
Much easier to see if there are external pips

Back
Top Bottom