Canelo update, more questions....and a buddy!

Fillys colour is called a dirty bay or sometimes Dun...any Mustang in her breeding?

Do you perhaps mean "sooty" rather than "dirty?" Duns may have cobwebbing on their faces, tiger stripes on their legs, and bars on their shoulders/necks, none of which I can see, but they all have a dorsal stripe, which I can't see, either. Her body is dark, but her legs are darker; I think you'd be able to see a dorsal stripe at the base of her tail, if she had one, in the first picture. I just don't think this filly can be dun factor.:idunno

I think there's a smokey black color, seen in Rocky Mountain gaited horses? I've got two books on equine color genetics, both hidden away right now.
Mary

Smoky Black is a black horse with the creme gene; she could be that, plus silver (I seem to be fixating on the lighter shading on her mane and tail, don't I? She's a baby, and knowing how odd baby colors can be, it occurs to me that those light areas might grow/shed out, never to be seen again):rolleyes:

And both of these horses have negative Coggins tests done, right? See the paperwork, or get it done ASAP.
I wouldn't start riding him now, get his ground manners under control, work with a trainer if necessary, and don't assume good behavior under saddle, or that he's actually a safe ride, without more time. I'd have a good trainer do those early rides, later, to save my neck...
It's not a race to get weight on him! And seeing a rib is not a bad thing! Steady improvement is what you are looking for here, for both of them.
She needs a different diet blend too.
Mary

@Bunnylady Here's hoping he has at least some of those genes, nighttime temps of 22 are coming this week!
@chickens really no idea, but it would be cool if she was! The only thing the kill pen knows about her is that she came from an auction in Bristow, Oklahoma.
@Texas Kiki I wish! Spearman, at the very top of the panhandle.
@Folly's place if she was a RMH or mix that would be amazing! Yes on both Coggins. No one will be riding him again until he fills out, but I saw him ridden twice and briefly rode him myself once, but he could easily end up being a jerk when he's stronger. Would it be safe just to saddle him so he doesn't forget what it feels like?
Are visible ribs really not a bad thing? I always assumed it was unless it was the last rib on an athletic animal like a greyhound or a thoroughbred.
Now gotta go research a feeding program for the baby lol

Your boy needs to do more than just fill in his ribs. He is lacking flesh on his neck, his back, his butt; pretty much all over. Especially with cold weather coming in, while you may see less of his ribs in a month, at a safe and reasonable rate of gain you may still see hints of them when he starts to shed out in the Spring.

Horses never forget anything! The saddle that would fit now, won't fit later, and you don't want him sore over saddle fit. Ground manners, and maybe a little bit of ground driving. Lounging won't be so good until his feet are trimmed and he's as balanced as possible for him to be.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom